Intel Revives Discontinued 22 Nm Haswell Pentium Processor: Supply Issues Likely to Blame

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
At Intel, discontinued doesn't necessarily mean discontinued. Nor does it believe that 22 nm silicon is obsolete. The company has decided to resuscitate the Pentium G3420, an outdated 22 nm Haswell-based processor that was originally extinguished back in 2015. Intel didn't specify why it is doing this, but the popular theory is that the 14 nm shortage has gotten so bad that blue team is being forced to fill in the gaps by dusting off old tech.

The Pentium G3420 is a dual-core, HyperThreading-less chip built on the obsolete 22nm process node. The 53W processor rocks a 3.2 GHz base clock and slots into LGA1150 motherboards. In this day and age, we doubt any consumer would pick up the Pentium G3420 so the chip's revival is likely to benefit OEMs

I'm really think the shortage is bullshit. Where are all the people/companies complaining about a lack of Intel cpu's? Eventually someone at Intel is going to quit/retire and tell the world they chose to produce a limited amount in order to justify keeping prices high. Because, hey, if we can't keep up with a much smaller AMD, how can we keep convincing investors that their EPS will go up without having a "legitimate" reason to keep prices high?

Between this and the CEO saying to forget about 90% cpu share.... Don't know.

Back in my day we had 22nm CPUs and we ... wait ... What year is it? (posted from my haswell system :b)

Become a Patron!
Back