Intel Vows to Surpass TSMC as the World’s Leading Semiconductor Company

I think I heard of something called, what's the name? oh yes, Ryzen :p :p

Joke aside, both TSMC and samsung are going full force on 5nm and are getting 3nm soon, while Intel can't even get 10nm working. Yeah, I know they are not comparable, but still.
Well, keep in mind TSMC 3mm is really like 9nm or something. It’s a marketing name, not an engineering spec - like GTG pixel transition times or LCD contrast levels.

I think I heard of something called, what's the name? oh yes, Ryzen :p :p
I need to qualify my post with this: if I had to upgrade my desktop today, it'd be Ryzen. The thought almost scares me too; not that AMD is competitive, and not just competitive but also innovating in different directions than Intel, but rather all the research that I haven't bothered to keep up on.

And if AMD gets their Threadripper out with Zen 3 (or did I miss that?), well, that's when I'll probably be paying much closer attention! As it stands their desktop platforms offer too little gain for what I do. My 5.0GHz 9900K, no AVX offset, just keeps rocking on and not missing a beat. Neither AMD nor Intel make a product that would actually truly improve my workloads as they stand. Threadripper makes sense because I find the availability of more PCIe lanes attractive.

Joke aside, both TSMC and samsung are going full force on 5nm and are getting 3nm soon, while Intel can't even get 10nm working. Yeah, I know they are not comparable, but still.
Weird thing is that we would be justified in a feel of disappointment with AMDs progress at these nodes. They done well if only your point of comparison is their own past failures and Intel's most recent stumbles. I still rate it as 50 /50 that Intel will pop the cork off something incredible and steamroll AMD out of the market.

I need to qualify my post with this: if I had to upgrade my desktop today, it'd be Ryzen. The thought almost scares me too; not that AMD is competitive, and not just competitive but also innovating in different directions than Intel, but rather all the research that I haven't bothered to keep up on.

And if AMD gets their Threadripper out with Zen 3 (or did I miss that?), well, that's when I'll probably be paying much closer attention! As it stands their desktop platforms offer too little gain for what I do. My 5.0GHz 9900K, no AVX offset, just keeps rocking on and not missing a beat. Neither AMD nor Intel make a product that would actually truly improve my workloads as they stand. Threadripper makes sense because I find the availability of more PCIe lanes attractive.

Weird thing is that we would be justified in a feel of disappointment with AMDs progress at these nodes. They done well if only your point of comparison is their own past failures and Intel's most recent stumbles. I still rate it as 50 /50 that Intel will pop the cork off something incredible and steamroll AMD out of the market.
I don’t think we should be disappointed in AMD. They’ve been consistently kicking out 20% gains since Ryzen 1. Was Sandy bridge -> Sky Lake anywhere near the gains seen from Zen 1 to Zen 3?

edit, to answer my own question, Sandy bridge 2600k at 4.7ghz -> Kaby lake 7700k: 20% improvement over 5 years, not counting AVX (https://www.anandtech.com/show/1404...el-core-i7-2600k-testing-sandy-bridge-in-2019)

i can’t find a great comparison of a OC Ryzen 1700x to a 5800x, but I did catch that 2700x -> 5800x is about a 40% improvement, in 2.5 years.
(https://www.anandtech.com/show/1621...-review-5950x-5900x-5800x-and-5700x-tested/31)

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back