Intel Z790 and H770 Series Motherboards Will Include DDR4 Models, according to ASRock Leak

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Enthusiasts who plan to upgrade to Intel's Z790 and H770 Series motherboards for 13th Gen Core "Raptor Lake" processors will be able to choose between DDR5 or DDR4 models, according to a leaked list of ASRock's upcoming motherboards that can confirm the development of various options that are designed with either current or last generation memory in mind.

Go to post

It wouldn't surprise me if true.

There seem to be conflicting reports on this, but as Dan said I wouldn't be surprised if it were true.

Interesting, also what advantage does Z790 have over Z690 would be my question? Zen 4 IPC and clock speed increase still appears to not match even Alder Lake P core performance while Raptor Lake should take it a notch above Alder Lake. Anyways Intel supporting both DDR 4 and 5 with their newest generations does put the squeeze on AMD I do believe. I hope Intel does support DDR4/5 with Z790.

Interesting, also what advantage does Z790 have over Z690 would be my question? Zen 4 IPC and clock speed increase still appears to not match even Alder Lake P core performance while Raptor Lake should take it a notch above Alder Lake. Anyways Intel supporting both DDR 4 and 5 with their newest generations does put the squeeze on AMD I do believe. I hope Intel does support DDR4/5 with Z790.
I don't think it will be supported on most the Z790 boards themselves, but the lower chipsets from what I have read. Though this article conflicts that.

I don't think it will be supported on most the Z790 boards themselves, but the lower chipsets from what I have read. Though this article conflicts that.
If that option is available for the motherboard makers, I see them having cheaper Z790 boards with DDR4 if they can make money from them. Plus later when DDR 5 only CPUs from Intel, some of those same buyers will migrate yet again to a new motherboard. Win Win. Plus if Raptor Lake with DDR 4 is just as fast or faster than Zen 4 with DDR5 in most tasks then that would be icing on the cake. I see Intel as already turning it around in the CPU department against AMD.

I hope Intel does support DDR4/5 with Z790.
The memory controller is on the CPU; obviously there is some implementation logic associated with the chipset, but if Z790 supports Alder Lake, then DDR4 Z790 boards should also be possible.

It's an added incentive for people running DDR4 boards to finally upgrade to something new while still retaining older parts that are still usefull.

It's an added incentive for people running DDR4 boards to finally upgrade to something new while still retaining older parts that are still usefull.
Yep limits the cost of the upgrade. And that is nice.

Become a Patron!
Back