Internet Plans Lower than 1 Gbps Are Obsolete, Says Florida-Based Fiber Provider

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Wire 3, a Central Florida based fiber to the home provider, sunset any internet plans lower than 1 Gbps on January 1st. Currently offering residential internet speeds up to 10 Gbps, Wire 3 is drawing a line in the sand when it comes to acceptable bandwidth.

See full article...

With so much bandwidth, why can't we get a higher bit-rate for our streaming services? Seems to be a total waste..
I totally agree and whatever infrastructure the streaming providers are using is crap. For me Amazon is the worst followed by Netflix and then Disney. Max does okay as does Paramount but none are great.

In terms of downloading games and updates I've seen okay things with Steam/GOG/Epic but it's not consistent for any of them either.

A 10-gig connection would be nice but mostly wasted on either of these fronts. I currently have a 1-gig service and it's all over the map for what the different streaming/gaming stuff can do.

I like the balls on Wire 3. Minimum 1Gbps, well gawd dang.
In terms of downloading games and updates I've seen okay things with Steam/GOG/Epic but it's not consistent for any of them either.
I currently have a 1-gig service and it's all over the map for what the different streaming/gaming stuff can do.
Where I live currently I have Verizon FiOS up-to-1Gbps service. I see 800s and 900s a lot with Steam, but most of the time it is in the 500-700Mbps range. When I'm downloading stuff through Usenet it's usually on the higher end of the scale, and I see 700+ more often. I don't think I've ever seen it go below 500Mbps. These kinds of speeds are more than enough for me. I think I would be fine with 300Mbps Internet to be honest (and the pricing for that tier is more my style). Not that long ago I was getting along just fine with 120Mbps. When I first got FiOS it was 75Mbps service but I never saw below 80Mbps. It just kept going up and up on its own over the years, before capping at 120Mbps down/up. Now it feels like my Internet service is Sonic the Hedgehog having a cocaine party with Speedy Gonzalez and Barry Allen.

I can NOT imagine having 10Gbps speeds. That's a crazy world to live in, where your Internet speeds smoke SATA-3 and USB 3.0. You're knocking on the door of SAS 12Gbps. Obviously latency is not the same, but still, that's a crazy-@ss bandwidth figure for a WAN.

Last edited:
I'm also using 1gbit FiOS, but I so rarely see above 500mbit that I'm not sure it's worth the money. Even downloading from steam I generally only see 600-700mbit unless I start the download at like 1am. And, to be honest, if I'm downloading a game at 1am, I'd be fine with 50mbit, because I'm probably not going to play it until the next day anyway.

Become a Patron!
Back