IO Interactive (Hitman) Announces Development of Online Fantasy RPG

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
IO Interactive (IOI) has proven to be an expert of the stealth genre, having developed various, acclaimed Hitman games, but its next challenge looks to be something wildly different. According to a new post that the Danish video game developer shared today, IOI is currently building "Project Fantasy," an online fantasy RPG that will not only introduce a brand-new world and IP, but also be continually supported for "years to come." Story and gameplay details for the game remain under wraps, but a piece of artwork that IOI shared hint at a world that should be welcomed by players of World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XIV, and other hit online fantasy RPGs.

See full article...

"For years to come" or until the active player count drops bellow projections. Imagine being the braindead idiot who thinks it is a good idea to force a successful single player game studio to make a live service game.

"For years to come" or until the active player count drops bellow projections. Imagine being the braindead idiot who thinks it is a good idea to force a successful single player game studio to make a live service game.
Imagine when origin made a online game . Or blizzard. Or funco.... Or ncsoft . The list gos on. These names all had profits in some cases rather massive profits pumped out of them. Just because s gsme eventually closes doesn't mean it wasnt profitable .

Imagine when origin made a online game . Or blizzard. Or funco.... Or ncsoft . The list gos on. These names all had profits in some cases rather massive profits pumped out of them. Just because s gsme eventually closes doesn't mean it wasnt profitable .
What about all the failed MMOs then? Like Anthem, Outriders, Hellgate London...etc? All millions down the drain. funcom is the throw everything at the wall company. Even if sometimes it sticks it disgusts me.

I'll never understand the appeal of games that are 20 years behind the curve graphically and offer quests so complex that a toddler could've written them. Which is literally every mmo I ever tried.

And even if some make their money back that doesn't make them automatically a good thing.

Last edited:
I'll never understand the appeal of games that are 20 years behind the curve graphically and offer quests so complex that a toddler could've written them. Which is literally every mmo I ever tried.
I'll never understand paying a subscription fee just to play a game.

Well after their latest fiasco with Hitman 1-3 becoming Hitman 3: World of Assassination they maybe should do something new. Given their past though, I don't think I'd trust them with managing a subscription system. Destiny2 or Elderscrolls Online are bad but not IOI dlc bad. I thought they were doing a James Bond version of Hitman though?

The Hitman WoA nonsense began at the start of the year where they gave everyone about a month to buy cheap copies of H3 and didn't tell people to make sure all 3 games were linked in your IOI account before the change on Jan 26th. Now, the old system is shut down and you can't link H1 and H2 so you can play H1 in H2's engine/game nor get that content linked with H3.

H3 is now a two year old game with a MSRP of $69.99 and the DLC for H2 and 3 is an extra $30. $100 for the full experience. $60 or so on sale. Oh, and Hitman 3 was an Epic Store exclusive for a year.

What about all the failed MMOs then? Like Anthem, Outriders, Hellgate London...etc? All millions down the drain. funcom is the throw everything at the wall company. Even if sometimes it sticks it disgusts me.

And even if some make their money back that doesn't make them automatically a good thing.
True Mmo's fail you'll note the ones I was referring to are mmoRPG games. Not looter shooters.

True Mmo's fail you'll note the ones I was referring to are mmoRPG games. Not looter shooters.
MMORPGs aren't all a success either, pointing out a few that become huge doesn't mean they are all guaranteed successes.
There is at least one such project on kickstarter every week

MMORPGs aren't all a success either, pointing out a few that become huge doesn't mean they are all guaranteed successes.
There is at least one such project on kickstarter every week
So because it's hard studios are stupid to try. *Rolls eyes* isn't it time for your meds?

So because it's hard studios are stupid to try. *Rolls eyes* isn't it time for your meds?
Sigh. Not because it's hard. It is hard because the limited market for them is over saturated.

First it was online games, then you said it is just MMORPGs, now you pivot to ok it's hard but they should still try. WHY? Why the hell do we need another attempt at an MMO, when the market for single player games couldn't be riper?

And no, getting personal is still not an argument.

Sigh. Not because it's hard. It is hard because the limited market for them is over saturated.

First it was online games, then you said it is just MMORPGs, now you pivot to ok it's hard but they should still try. WHY? Why the hell do we need another attempt at an MMO, when the market for single player games couldn't be riper?

And no, getting personal is still not an argument.
Mmorpgs are a good market to be in if you find success. I know there are people dissatisfied with all of the current big name gsmes and feel there is a ripe opportunity for a mmorpg to be in the limelight and take ok those willing subscribers.

You say it's saturated and as a dissatisfied mmorpg fan I say there is room for something better. I admit hitting that target is not easy. Just like I want better movies I'm not doing to suggest people stop making movies because there hasn't been one I loved lately. And I doubt you have market analysis stating that the mmorpg market is over saturated.

Become a Patron!
Back