Is your BIOS up to date?

I wasn't one to do the bios updates if the PC was running smoothly. I have done a few updates on my current motherboard and though the first update made things a little unstable the latest update seems to be fine.

I'll flash the BIOS to the latest whenever I build a PC new, and then once a year I'll check out the latest release and see if the features added are worth flashing. Usually not. But sometimes.

With the recent security issues from Intel I've stated on top of the bios updates for my laptop. My TR system I have also maintained because the platform is so new and the updates have brought stability.

Generally I keep up to date with my desktop, my server rarely gets updates.

I am a BIOS updating freak .. Mine, my wife's and daughter's AM4 boards are up to date .. I fix computers on the side and that's one of the first things I do is check for BIOS updates after I either do clean install of windows or get done cleaning it up physically and software wise.

I am slacking in one area .. and that's my FreeNAS server. I haven't updated it ...yet

Nope. I'm one or two versions back. I don't generally update a BIOS unless I decide to try and push for a higher overclock or I'm installing a new processor or something. Generally, if it isn't broke don't fix it. I've run into problems updating BIOS versions when not needed. Manufacturers sometimes take away features down the line, or break compatibility with these fixes.
I’m the same. I don’t unless I’m bored at the time or there is a fix or upgrade. And then I wait a bit to really see what the new bios will offer.

I think currently only my Asus itx board has a bios update available. One that allows the next gen Ryzens to be used.
I doubt I ever see an update for the 3770k box. It was a crap mobo to begin with though.

Main gaming machine? No not really updated. Maybe 1 or 2 versions back. Most of my other computers are kept up to date.

Is your bios up to date on all your computers?

When was the last time you checked to see if you had the latest bios for your motherboard?

Not many people do this at all or often. So here is a friendly reminder to do it!

Back in the day the rule of thumb was, unless you are having some sort of problem, never touch the BIOS.

I'll usually review the release notes for new BIOS files on the vendors websites, but unless I am having a problem, or I see something that interests me, I just stay put.

There isn't always value in being on the bleedin edge.

BTW, my BIOS is now up to date. I was one version back. I went from F11 to F12e. This was done as it was recommended for AMD's latest chipset drivers and for Windows 10 build 1903.

So when do you consider your hardware "obsolete" and just stop checking for updates?

Mine has a "Beta" from 2018, but the last official BIOS is 2015 (and I am running that one).

I assume MSI stopped releasing new bios for my Z77 motherboard a while ago although I haven't checked in years

The main dev box is a minor version or two behind, I think it might be at a March release. I don't expect to touch it again unless I change hardware or there's some radical improvement for the 2700X (seems unlikely). The new cluster node is at the latest since it was refusing to overclock anything, turned out it needed a CMOS reset rather than a BIOS update, but it's fine now. The other nodes are all craigslist scavenge and I'm not even going to look.

Well, my Asus b450 is all set for next gen Ryzens..... Whenever that happens

I keep mine up to date, but I'm not diligent at checking. Despite having the practice of always updating my personal machines and always making sure a new build has the latest BIOS before I give it to some one, in my 20+ years of IT experience, I have had zero firmware/BIOS update failures. There have been a couple of updates that caused problems (issue with the updated file, not the process) that have had to be rolled back to resolve the new problems, but otherwise, I don't hesitate to update.

I think its safe to say I update BIOS ROMs more than most people given that I've been reviewing motherboards for a decade and a half. I've only seen two flash failures so far. One was recoverable, and the other was resolved by ASUS sending a new BIOS chip out to the customer who owned the system. I installed it, and then re-flashed. It worked fine after that.

I hate it when Bioses break things. I have had new bioses break things on every board I have had in the last 20 years.

Even if it was up to date it would still be insecure being an Intel chip.
So I dont go on the internet any more.

Staying up to date is what every aspiring Zen2 Beta Tester aspires to do! ;)

Otherwise, not really - if the system works perfectly, it tends to stay that way instead of having constant attempts to fix what isn't broken until there is something to fix.

I had issues on bios updates with my Aorus gaming 5 board. The latest one seems stable now. Sometimes upgrading isn't the best on a stable system. I usually wait to see if a bios comes directly after another since that is a sign of a "goofed" bios.

Become a Patron!
Back