• We're doing a weekly newsletter recap - if you want this for your inbox, sign up here - http://eepurl.com/gLrSUj

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Image: Intel

Despite earlier reports of Intel slashing CPU prices in response to AMD’s Ryzen onslaught, that doesn’t appear to be happening – at least, not for some of the company’s upcoming Comet Lake-S processors. Alleged pricing for Intel’s 10-gen Core i3 and Core i5 chips have been listed at European retailers, and few of them compare all that well with the competition.

Take the Intel Core i5-10600, for instance. Czech retailer Bohemia Computers and Slovakian retailer ITSK-HS have this SKU listed for around $230 to $250. That doesn’t seem like a bad price for a...
Continue reading...

Brian_B

Semi-regular
I can almost understand (although not agree with) the strategy here

You have a premium brand name, that is worth something right there. You don’t want to cut to the budget runner-up overnight.

There will be a contingent of people who will stick with Intel pretty much no matter what. Not sure how large that is, and neither is Intel, but you don’t want to knee-jerk and slash prices when you may be able to preserve a
majority of your margin on strength of brand alone.

Denpepe

n00b
Might just be preorder pricing, and I must say the slovakian store has no 3xxx series ryzen CPU's listed atm and the 1600X costs 258.73 € vs 189.98 € for the 2700X which to me seems very strange.

SeymourGore

Sort-of-Regular
I'm sure Intel will release some benchmark articles to demonstrate why this pricing makes sense.

Grimlakin

Semi-regular
Intel is counting on the mindset of... "More expensive must = better." Everyone tends to fall into that trap in some fashion. It's not a dumb move while they still have most of the market.

It's shady as all hell but it's not dumb.

Become a Patron!