It was just too good to be true

Don't forget to give scalpers some credit for that though.
This what has ruined the PC enthusiast community to an extent. People get irritated that they can't get a card, and then see scalper prices, and just give up and move on to something else.

As far as the Zotac card is concerned, I would get one if I were looking still. Great cooler and performance from what I've read.

So you're basing your choice by identifying as an anti-fanboy?
Oh no, I'm definitely a fan boy. But I identify as a Fan Adult.

No one with half a brain would buy a scalper card. You don't really NEED to drop 2k on a card for your 1080p gaming rig. And I think a lot of people realize that, which is why you will see scalper cards in stock. And which is why I don't include them as an in stock item.

That site is a little tricky. It says add to cart, but in small reddish letters above that to the left it says out of stock.
Last night when I tried it was working as it should and I was tempted but just now I tried and I see what you mean. Pretty ironic.

Already said, but I wanted to repeat it, to not think there won't be a 7950 XT/X or something, is short sighted. I believe there will in fact be a complete refresh, RDNA 3+ ? At the very very least, a 7950 that is beefed up in spec in the future. I think they don't have a 4090 competitor now (maybe), but they might mid next year, or later next year. I also think AIBs will have very highly clocked cards this gen, we will see 3GHz 7900 XTXs from AIBs, AMD is giving them generous headroom to provide a real advantage over the reference design.

Already said, but I wanted to repeat it, to not think there won't be a 7950 XT/X or something, is short sighted
I have no doubt, but ... still pending benchmarks and all, if the 7900 stacks up fairly reasonably against the 4080... then binning alone for a 7950 won't make up the delta to compete with a 4090. A chip respin ~might~, but you are still on the far edge of that, and nVidia can always be holding a 4090Ti up their sleeve.

A lot of people get caught up in who has the fastest card (my son being among them - who just bought a 65% RGB keyboard to go with his ginormous LTT mousepad), but unless that's the card you are going out to buy - it's just marketing. Apparently very valuable marketing though.

Oh no, I'm definitely a fan boy. But I identify as a Fan Adult.
Really? I thought you made it clear earlier that you were simply mancotting Nvidia, rather than making your decision based on loyalty to AMD:
I for one will get a 7900xtx because its not NV.
Spite-based hardware purchases are every bit as rational as those based on (usually outdated) anecdotes of driver instability.
No one with half a brain would buy a scalper card.
I agree. Unfortunately, that works to the benefit of scalpers.
You don't really NEED to drop 2k on a card for your 1080p gaming rig.
I'd say that's true even of 4K gaming, which even a midrange card can usually handle, unless we're limited to the usual cherry-picked handful of titles that reviewers love, and insist on enabling every imperceptible graphical enhancement.

One factor that is seldom mentioned is OS support: AMD's open-source drivers for Linux have continued to improve and are now adequate for gaming. The viability of gaming on Linux is possible in no small part thanks to contributions from Valve. To be fair, if users don't mind depending on Nvidia's proprietary binary drivers, Linux gaming is also possible with Nvidia's cards.

The open-source driver support I mentioned above is enough of a reason for me to move to AMD.

However, it's worth remembering that all of these discussions about AMD vs Nvidia are nothing but distractions while we await the release of Intel's Battlemage.

:cool:

However, it's worth remembering that all of these discussions about AMD vs Nvidia are nothing but distractions while we await the release of Intel's Battlemage.
With the way the roll out of the first generation has gone so far, the ability of everyone to say “they are still new to this so of course it won’t compete”, Intel’s refound commitment to cost cutting, and just general “anything announced never releases on time” Murphy’s Law:

I’m not holding my breath.

That is one seriously ugly card.

And this is why I miss EVGA - at least their retail store had a pretty solid reputation. I know nothing about ZOTAC's store and would kind of want the protections that come with Amazon or Newegg, or even better Microcenter.
That would actually be a good name for a card :D

ASUS SUG (Seriously UGly) - 4090

Some good ideas for card names... Just be careful not to make the mistake of correctly spelling the entire name. Consider terms such as TUF, SUPRIM, etc., for inspiration.

Are melted connectors a disaster or a marketing opportunity? Hmm... 🤔

Use terms that capitalize on the buyer's fears:
  • Fireproof
  • Melt-resistant
  • Nonflammable
Additional sales opportunities:
  • Extended warranties with bonus coverage against "accidental" fires. :devilish:
  • Optional accessories can be great for impulse purchases during checkout! 🧯
I'm sure you guys can come up with something clever! ;)

The TUF Celcius edition.
MSI 4090 C++ edition.
hummmm those are not great.

ASUS Fire suite for when your game simply can't stop!!

I don't get branding names.

Ok, Strix, when it was supposed to be the cool and ultra quiet line - kinda made sense. Now it's slapped on everything. Probably the best of the bunch, but it's been overused and strayed far from the meaning.

ROG. Ok it's an acronym for Republic of Gamers. And it kinda sounds like a Tom Clancy thing. Maybe a pass

Speedster, Windforce, GAMING. Not very creative, but at least they make sense.

SUPRIM -- that's just a straight up typo.

Aorus -- kinda looks (and sounds) like Anus honestly.

TUF -- sounds like an acronym that someone would use to name a GI Joe unit. Cool if you are in grade school.

[K]ingpin, Fatal1ty, etc. - cashing in on some gamer dude's handle.

Fun fact:
Asus has nothing short of 10 (TEN!) different branding models today: Asus (vanilla), ROG Poseiden, ROG Strix, ROG Matrix, Dual, TUF, Turbo, Phoenix, Cerberus, and KO

Become a Patron!
Back