James Earl Jones Dies: Voice of Darth Vader and Other Cinema Icons Was 93

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
James Earl Jones, the American actor partially known for voicing some of cinema's most recognizable characters, including Mufasa (The Lion King) and Darth Vader (Star Wars), has died at the age of 93, according to the latest reports.

See full article...

He will be missed. The ever present voice of Vader who could never be the face of Vader for some reason. Thankfully his catalogue of other work is on point as well.

I came across this yesterday and it spoke to me:

Funny thing about James Earl Jones is that at least to those of us born in the late 70's and early 80's, he lent his voice to so many things, but weas rarely in them in person. (I know his earlier work had a lot of in person appearances, but that is before my time)

Darth Vader, Mustafa, "This is CNN" you name it. One of the few things I remember seeing him act in person in was a short lived TV Show named Gabriel's Fire.

While I don't remember much about the show, I do remember him having a great amount of gravitas in his role. Apparently he won an Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actor, but the show was then canceled after just one season.

The show apparently brought up some sensitive topics around race relations. I guess America just wasn't ready for that in 1991. Which is maybe a little surprising considering after the season started Rodney King thing happened. Maybe it was just too soon.

Say what you will about him, but he was truly one of the most iconic voices of our time. There is no denying that.

(and with AI technology being what it is, I have a feeling we haven't heard the last of him :p )

Rest in Peace James Earl Jones. You were one of the good ones.

Become a Patron!
Back