Konami and FIFA Sign Collaboration Agreement to Continue Their Worldwide Commitment to the Advancement of eSports

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Konami and FIFA have entered into an agreement for the FIFAe World Cup featuring football with teams spanning 18 countries. The collaboration between Konami and FIFA follows last year's split between FIFA and longtime partner, video game publisher EA.

See full article...

eSports hasn't died yet?

I remember hearing about huge LoL and Overwatch tournaments and pro teams, but seems like all that kinda died off during covid and none of it has really popped back up on my radar. Maybe they are still a huge thing and my news feeds just don't pick up on them at all.

I mean, there's professional curling and I don't see much news on that, but it's a thing, I guess.

eSports hasn't died yet?
I've been asking the same question every year since the CPL first came around. I used to laugh at this sh1t, and thought that it would disappear within a few years. Around 2 decades later, boy was I wrong. I still do NOT get how eSports is even a thing.

AFAIK, LoL, Overwatch, Fortnite and StarCraft tournaments and many others are still a thing. Not that I follow any of them.

Yeah, I think we're all kind of in the same boat with this one in that its nothing any of us really track but yet still there. I also remember hearing about some schools or colleges making curriculum in recent years. Hilariously though I think if I was that young again I'd be more into getting on that robot wars cable show.

My son's highschool had an eSports team when he was a Freshman. He was all jazzed to join it until we pointed out - they don't play any of the games you play, and they expect you to be good at the ones they do play and he'd have to play them and practice them even if he didn't like the game. He decided against it - I would have been ok had he chose to move ahead, but I think he realized it wouldn't be nearly as much fun as he first thought and thought better of it.

The eSports team disbanded his Sophomore year - it wasn't terribly popular and the teacher who was coaching moved to another school and no one else wanted to pick it up.

Not the same thing as a Curriculum, but still - close to home. I did think it was kinda cool that they actually traveled for Away games, and it was set up like a giant LAN party. I never went to any but saw the photos in the yearbook.

Kinda funny how anything looses it's luster once you have to do it for reasons other than "because I enjoy it"

Become a Patron!
Back