Latest Rumored Specs Suggest That NVIDIA Could Be Killing Off Its X80 Ti Line of GPUs

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
RTX-3000-Series-1024x576.png
Image: JDSP

The last month has seen image leaks, renders, and rumors abound for NVIDIA’s forthcoming Ampere-based RTX GPUs. Some of the rumors are so detailed that they seem to be plausible. Leaked images have led people, such as JDSP, to create renders such as the one used in this article. Among many of the rumors is the inclusion of a new 3090 card. In the past, NVIDIA’s X90 line of cards was usually dual GPU. As almost everyone knows by now, SLI is dead, so this leaves the question of what it could actually be. The possibility of a traversal coprocessor would lend itself to the previous branding, but what about the increasingly absent X80 Ti?

NVIDIA’s X80 Ti...

Continue reading...

I seeee,
Kill off the xx80ti, and replace it with x90% of Titan price.

$10 Monopoly Dollars that the 'TI' abbreviation will be used as the new 'Super' designation for the 3000 series refreshes down the line.

I often feel like they do this ****, renaming, upending naming schemes, and secrets about what is coming, just to mess with end users and make it difficult for them to make an educated decision about the product they want to buy.

I wish these jerks would just stop playing games, and keep everything predictable.

Here's a thought idea. You buy the video card and it comes fully loaded, but you have to buy 'license unlock codes' to unlock all of the hardware on your card to actually use. For instance it comes with xxxxx number of cuda cores and xxxxx number of RTX cores whatever those are as well as 24gb of ram on the card. But you buy the card at the base price of say 300 dollars. You HAVE all the hardware on the card but it only uses the base level % of the card until you pay to unlock the rest.

Before you say that would never happen that is how large hardware is sold today to businesses. I'm talking about mainframe and AS/400 level hardware. And it costs a TON to unlock all the hardware. (a lot of it is simply kept as redundant in case a core or something fails in the box.)

Personally I would be ok with this as long as it is a one time license. And I'm not saying I would find a way to crack it or let someone else do that. Because... that would be wrong. <.< >.>

Here's a thought idea. You buy the video card and it comes fully loaded, but you have to buy 'license unlock codes' to unlock all of the hardware on your card to actually use. For instance it comes with xxxxx number of cuda cores and xxxxx number of RTX cores whatever those are as well as 24gb of ram on the card. But you buy the card at the base price of say 300 dollars. You HAVE all the hardware on the card but it only uses the base level % of the card until you pay to unlock the rest.

Before you say that would never happen that is how large hardware is sold today to businesses. I'm talking about mainframe and AS/400 level hardware. And it costs a TON to unlock all the hardware. (a lot of it is simply kept as redundant in case a core or something fails in the box.)

Personally I would be ok with this as long as it is a one time license. And I'm not saying I would find a way to crack it or let someone else do that. Because... that would be wrong. <.< >.>

Intel tried it about 10 years ago - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Upgrade_Service and it went over about as well as a lead balloon in a kids parade.

I would not be surprised if they used the TI to fill up gaps like they used to do if they need something to counter AMD or intel.

Lack of ti suggests they will have a hard time giving us something we want to buy at release time.
It will come later or not at all.
Its not they dont want to be predictable, they dare not be predictable.
Pricing will screw us and them.

Beer may have influenced this post.

Become a Patron!
Back