Latest Windows 10 Update

LazyGamer

FPS Junkie
I usually have... exceptional luck with Windows 10 updates. My current installation was set up about three or four months ago, and that was a rebuild after years of 'cruft' and experimentation that took its toll. Not that it was broken, just starting to get rough around the edges.

Well, I've been trying to get the latest update to install (no previews, just normal retail). It has repeatedly failed.

This is still probably my fault; I was trying to get the system to reliably dual-boot, and after a Pop OS installation that somehow failed to install GRUB normally, i.e. no menu, would just boot the Linux OS, and wouldn't give the option to boot Windows (BIOS allowed me to bypass this reliably, so whatever for the moment).

Now I'm here.

1613359362317.png

I find the message hilarious, and the error message that I've gotten on updates are basically 'there's something wrong, and it isn't getting fixed'.

Windows Update Error 0x800f0922

Here's what I'm running:
Device name redacted
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB
Device ID redacted
Product ID 00330-80000-00000-AA263
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎2020-‎10-‎27
OS build 19042.746
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

I don't expect to be able to get updates installed until I do a full reinstall, which I plan to do tomorrow. I've already backed up the C: drive and everything on the physical drive, so I plan to wipe to metal and start fresh; the only real thing I need to do is some research to ensure I'm prepared to get a Linux install working properly in parallel afterward. Not that I know what I did wrong, my laptop has three distros installed alongside Windows and reliably boots between, and it took this update like a champ.

I had an earlier Win10 update do the same thing - tell me my computer running Win10 didn’t meet the specs to be upgraded to Win10, so it wouldn’t update - nor stop nagging me about needing to be updated.

The fix there was to wait for the updated update...

I had an earlier Win10 update do the same thing - tell me my computer running Win10 didn’t meet the specs to be upgraded to Win10, so it wouldn’t update - nor stop nagging me about needing to be updated.

The fix there was to wait for the updated update...
Which is exactly what I wanted to do!

Unfortunately, Windows kept trying to install it, so every reboot meant a failed attempt to install, then another reboot to recover. Got tired enough of that to do something about it after a few weeks.

Become a Patron!
Back