Latest Windows Updates Are Breaking Network Printing for Some Admin Users

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
windows-10-hero-wallpaper-red-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Some network admins are reporting that this week’s Windows 10 updates break network printing. The latest updates include the final fixes for PrintNightmare. Originally reported in July, the vulnerability gives attackers a means of gaining admin-level privileges remotely through the point and print service.

Microsoft quickly rolled out updates but was unable to fully fix it. Now, the latest updates rolled out this week seem to have made things worse. Some admins are unable to print at all via networked printers, and the only solution they’ve found is to undo...

Continue reading...

Printing is stupid anyway. It's 2021, its long past time for the paperless office. Save the trees and all of that.

I'm sure it goes to show how little I understand the problem, but it seems like Windows has always made printing way more complicated than it ever needed to be.

Printing is stupid anyway. It's 2021, its long past time for the paperless office. Save the trees and all of that.
It's pretty awesome being able to do sh1t like roll in to MicroCenter and just show an email of a coupon on my phone that they can just scan, rather than having to print something out to show them. I like that we now live in a world where tickets, coupons, vouchers, rebates, invoices, and whatever-the-f*ck can just exist in digital form. Don't need to hand in physical tickets to get on a plane, they can just scan it on your phone/tablet/laptop.

In the past I always had a printer hooked up to my main PC, then I moved to one networked printer for the house, now I don't even use printers at all. If I need to print something, I drive over to my parents' medical practice and use one of their office's printers.

I think it will be news when a Windows 10 Update does not break something.

It's pretty awesome being able to do sh1t like roll in to MicroCenter and just show an email of a coupon on my phone that they can just scan, rather than having to print something out to show them. I like that we now live in a world where tickets, coupons, vouchers, rebates, invoices, and whatever-the-f*ck can just exist in digital form. Don't need to hand in physical tickets to get on a plane, they can just scan it on your phone/tablet/laptop.

In the past I always had a printer hooked up to my main PC, then I moved to one networked printer for the house, now I don't even use printers at all. If I need to print something, I drive over to my parents' medical practice and use one of their office's printers.

Mine is upstairs. The girlfriend uses it some.

I've got high school kids who need to still print out reports and homework assigments. I've got an old Canon MX870 that's been kicking and screaming for 8 years now.. It'll be the last printer I buy.

My wife prints birthday cards and, for some reason, bank statements.

I print blueprints out for work so I can read them easier and mark them up - it could be done digitally but I’m not that smart.

Become a Patron!
Back