Leaked Ryzen Threadripper 3000 Platform Specs Point to HEDT/Workstation Split

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Gamers Nexus has received documentation elaborating on the compute, memory, integrated IO, and thermal requirements of Threadripper 3000 boards. There are two variants, adding credence to previous rumors of AMD separating the platform into two categories.

According to the leaked specs, "sTRX4" and "sWRX8" comprise the HEDT and Workstation platforms, respectively. The latter will support additional memory (4 vs. 8 channels) and feature more PCIe 4 lanes (64 vs. 96 to 128).

The document also notes thermal design requirements, and states that the CPUs will have two infrastructure groups: A and B, with A for HEDT assuming a 32C ambient, and B for WS assuming a 42C ambient. Group A has a TDP presently noted as 280W, a Tcase max of 60 degrees Celsius, and a Tctl max of 100 degrees.

Serious question here.. What's the point of 8-channel DDR4, if only 1 DIMM is needed per channel?

That's pretty much what I thought they would do based on the naming convention and the production of so many TR4 chipsets for a third generation Threadripper.

Maybe this is the basis for those x590 rumors from a few weeks back.

Some good info.

Wish the core count and clocks would leak.

I'd totally buy a Threadripper with 16C/32T and clocks equivalent to the Ryzen 9 3950x (if the damned thing ever launches).

I do want many PCIe lanes, and wouldn't mind more RAM bandwidth, but I don't need a render monster and really don't want to sacrifice max core clocks.

Become a Patron!
Back