LG’s 2019 OLED TVs Aren’t Getting AMD FreeSync

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
lg-oled-g-sync-trio-1024x576.jpg
Image: LG

It appears that LG is siding exclusively with green team when it comes to tear-free gaming on 2019 OLED TVs. In a statement sent to Forbes, the South Korean manufacturer noted that it had no intention of bringing AMD’s variable refresh rate technology, FreeSync, to last year’s lineup. That’s disappointing (and maybe a little surprising), since these displays do include support for NVIDIA G-SYNC (an update for that rolled out back in October 2019).

“LG’s product planning team has now confirmed to me that this is not going to happen,” wrote the author. “LG’s 2019 OLEDs do support NVIDIA’s G-Sync VRR system, but confirmation that they will not be...

Continue reading...

Disappointing, but yeah, they want to sell new models, not get stuck perpetually upgrading old models.

I understand it, I don't really like it, but I get it.

Morale of the story: don't buy a product wanting a feature unless that feature is there the day you buy it.

Disappointing, but yeah, they want to sell new models, not get stuck perpetually upgrading old models.

I understand it, I don't really like it, but I get it.

Morale of the story: don't buy a product wanting a feature unless that feature is there the day you buy it.

I've been burned too many times on the promise of features that never happen.

I'll just be happy when I have an NV card that has HDMI 2.1. My LG C9 has been awesome with HDR(10 & DolbyVision)/1440p/120Hz/G-Sync but can't wait to see things in 4k/120Hz with it. It easilly has the best overall IQ of all my displays.

Sony H900 is supposed to have hdmi 2.1, yet all the advanced "features" will be firmware upgraded later, which sounds sneaky.

I think LG could probably retro-fit older OLEDs via firmware update, but as mentioned why sabotage future sales by upgrading old models? Maybe they could offer it as a paid upgrade or something. All I know is... if I was (insert one here = rich, impatient, ignorant) to have paid top dollar for an OLED in the last year or two, I would be pretty pissed if it didn't get updates that we were led to believe were coming. Although I cannot find that in writing anywhere that old models would have hdmi 2.1 features (like VRR/freesync) via firmware upgrade, but I seem to recall that from somewhere. Or I could have dreamt that, in a fever pitched dream caused by eating expired canned cat food.

Become a Patron!
Back