LG to Launch 42-Inch OLED Gaming TVs in Early 2022

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
lg-oled-dolby-vision-girl-playing-game-1024x576.jpg
Image: LG

One of the problems with LG’s OLED TVs is that they’re just too big for the average PC gaming setup. That should no longer be a problem next year.

According to a report by The Korea Economic Daily, LG will be releasing its first 42-inch OLED gaming TVs in early 2022. This is a fantastic and practical size for PC gamers who have limited desk space or haven’t considered setting up their desks in front of an entertainment center.

LG’s 42-inch OLED gaming TVs are expected to be showcased during the next Consumer Electronics Show, which is scheduled for January 5–8, 2022.

“Apparently, LG wants to add the model to next year’ TV lineup to maximize its marketing efforts rather than unveiling it later this year,” an industry official said.

The smallest OLED TVs that LG currently offers is the 48-inch models. Sony offers something similar in its...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
42" is still fairly good sized. I have a 42" LCD in my Den, and it would fit on my desk better than a 48" for sure, it isn't ~that~ much smaller. Still glad to see them starting to come down in size a bit - I'd be surprised if we don't see a 32"consumer version of that $4k pro monitor come up before 2023.

I'm sure the 4K crowd will tell me I need a bigger panel than my 27" monitors, but I kinda like my current setup just fine.

Could be good if cost isn't insane

42" is still fairly good sized. I have a 42" LCD in my Den, and it would fit on my desk better than a 48" for sure, it isn't ~that~ much smaller.

Yeah I have a 43" 4K on my desk. It is gigantic at first but you acclimate really quick. Now when I have to use anything smaller or lower res (scoffs at 1080p peasant monitors) it makes my eyes cry.

I'm at 32", 4K.

Not sure I'd want anything bigger, at least not for work (Photo editing etc)

My desk doesnt have much depth either, maybe one day if I change my desk out or maybe just move it and stick monitor on a arm.

IMHO 43" is the absolute perfect size for 4K as far as desktop pixel density goes.

My Asus XG438Q is perfect in that regard.

The text quality is quite atrocious though.

I might spring for one of these 42" models if the budget allows.

Still, I am concerned about burn-in. Most of what I do is productivity work. Things like menu bars sitting on the screen in the same place for hours on end scare me a little bit...

...or should I not be concerned? Have OLED's improved enough that this isn't an issue anymore?

The text quality is quite atrocious though.
I have a 'gaming' VA panel that is pretty awful. Same problem as seen on the 43"ers, IIRC, with wacky sub-pixel arrangements. That, along with the dark smearing, has had me clinging to IPS, but also hating LCDs in general. Not because they can't be good, but because almost no one makes 'great' ones that balance color, response time, text rendering, contrast, and so on.
Still, I am concerned about burn-in. Most of what I do is productivity work. Things like menu bars sitting on the screen in the same place for hours on end scare me a little bit...
I expect less than perfection, but since OLED is poised to replace LCDs outright, I also expect that by the time burn-in becomes an issue, the panel will be 'disposable'.

I'm sure the 4K crowd will tell me I need a bigger panel than my 27" monitors, but I kinda like my current setup just fine.
I think Apple got it right here: 5k at 27" yields a nice scaling factor. Personally, 32" 4k scaled to 150% can be pretty nice too.

43" 4k should be just about right for use without scaling.

I have a 'gaming' VA panel that is pretty awful. Same problem as seen on the 43"ers, IIRC, with wacky sub-pixel arrangements. That, along with the dark smearing, has had me clinging to IPS, but also hating LCDs in general. Not because they can't be good, but because almost no one makes 'great' ones that balance color, response time, text rendering, contrast, and so on.

Yeah, I don't understand why they insist on mounting the things in BGR orientation. All it would take is to flip the **** thing upside down to get RGB. (in fact, if you mount it upside down and flip the image in Windows, you might accomplish this effect).

The only positive here is that a lot of my work is in Linux, and my Cinnamon Desktop in Linux Mint allows me to optimize for BGR so it doesn't look as bad as in Windows. Also, this luckily appears to help my Windows VM running under Linux as well, so for productivity I mostly avoid the problem, as I usually only reboot into bare metal Windows for games, and it is less of an issue in games.

I expect less than perfection, but since OLED is poised to replace LCDs outright, I also expect that by the time burn-in becomes an issue, the panel will be 'disposable'.

So you are thinking it might take a few years for the burn-in to be noticeable, and by that time a replacement will be cheap? Is that how I should be interpreting this?

I think Apple got it right here: 5k at 27" yields a nice scaling factor. Personally, 32" 4k scaled to 150% can be pretty nice too.

43" 4k should be just about right for use without scaling.

Yeah, I absolutely hate scaling. To me added resolution is all about getting more desktop real estate, at least up until 4k. If/when it becomes the norm to go above 4k this may no longer be the case, and I may be more OK with scaling, but I shudder at the thought of what kind of GPU it will take to run most games at 8K :eek:

I did recently play through the original Dishonored at 8K DSR on my 4k screen though, and I do have to say that this looked great, especially considering how the game originally had pretty ****ty AA options.

So you are thinking it might take a few years for the burn-in to be noticeable, and by that time a replacement will be cheap? Is that how I should be interpreting this?
Basically, but more of in a 'worst case' perspective.
Yeah, I absolutely hate scaling. To me added resolution is all about getting more desktop real estate, at least up until 4k.
I used to think that 24", 1080p was as good as text needed to be, but I've realized more lately that text isn't actually sharp at that DPI. Granted I'm not interested in throwing away desktop real-estate either, which is why I mentioned Apple's (and others) 5k displays.
If/when it becomes the norm to go above 4k this may no longer be the case, and I may be more OK with scaling, but I shudder at the thought of what kind of GPU it will take to run most games at 8K :eek:
This is really where DLSS and its upcoming ilk really come into play, in my opinion. Biggest hardware issue is the interlink!

Yeah. OLED is going to burn in eventually. It's a matter of what the useful lifespan of a monitor needs to be for your investment.

With reasonable precautions, that should be years. But it also shouldn't be anything more drastic than we took in the CRT days either.

Yeah I have a 43" 4K on my desk. It is gigantic at first but you acclimate really quick.

I thought the same thing when I decided on my 48" CX, but as you said you adjust quickly. It's nice having a deeper desk also.

I thought the same thing when I decided on my 48" CX, but as you said you adjust quickly. It's nice having a deeper desk also.

I found that 48" was just a little too large for me.

Don't get me wrong, it got better with time, and over the 5 years I used my 48" Samsung JS9000 until I replaced it with my Asus XG438Q it did get better, but I always felt it was just a few inches too large.

The 43" size is much better for my application. I do find myself missing the slight curve of the JS9000 though. It helped deal with off-angle color shifts in the corners due to sitting close to a large screen. The biggest problem with the XG438Q is the atrocious text.

My understanding is an OLED should not have this problem.

I am very interested in these as long as they don't wind up being obscenely expensive.

(Still a little nervous about burn-in, but maybe I can minimize that by using a shorter screen blank screen saver, and a automatically retractable menu)

Become a Patron!
Back