Linear TV Will Be Dead in 5 to 10 Years, Says Netflix CEO

yes, and yet I can use the NFL app, yahoo app, etc to stream the content. It’s a strange combo where I have Fios, but never actually watch Fios… I just use the synched authentication to only pay a single provider.
Can do the same thing with most streaming services -- if you already have it through your linear provider, they will pass through access. The legacy provider has negotiated and paid for your access for you.

Which -- you make a great point.

How long until linear TV stops actually being TV, and are essentially just subscription aggregation services?

Can do the same thing with most streaming services -- if you already have it through your linear provider, they will pass through access. The legacy provider has negotiated and paid for your access for you.

Which -- you make a great point.

How long until linear TV stops actually being TV, and are essentially just subscription aggregation services?
I think that is a ways off where there is nothing but streaming. I look at how my parents / in laws consume TV and it’s just always running in the background. Streaming just isn’t how they think, so inertia will probably carry things forward another 15 or 20 years.

That said, Verizon has a steamer package where you get local TV channels and then certain streaming services. I haven’t really looked into it, but if it has a package with Disney plus, espn, and nfl network, it would basically cover everything I watch now.

The hybrid approach appears to be a very much “now” thing.

Become a Patron!
Back