Linux Creator Linus Torvalds Ditches Intel After 15 Years, Upgrading to AMD Threadripper System

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-ryzen-threadripper-blue-streaks-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

AMD’s lineup of powerful, high-core monsters earned a huge proponent this week. As part of Linux 5.7-rc7’s announcement, Linux creator Linus Torvalds revealed that he had upgraded to a new machine with a Ryzen Threadripper 3970X, ending his long-time relationship with Intel. The move isn’t all too surprising, being that Torvalds has been pretty public about his grievances with blue team lately.

Launched in November 2019, AMD’s Ryzen Threadripper 3970X is a 32-core, 64-thread processor with an official boost clock of 4.5 GHz. There’s actually an even more powerful SKU – the 64C/128T 3990X – but Torvalds said that the middle sibling has already allowed him to run test builds three times faster.

“…the biggest excitement this week for me was...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t doubt this story may move some people, but before this, I had no idea what Linus ran in his rig, nor did I ever really think about it.

I really need an AMD quick sync equivalent so my Linux plex box can get a nice APU upgrade.

Become a Patron!
Back