Linux in Windows any good?

Thanks,

Stuck at my Sister's for a week, house, duck, fish and turtle sitting.

I just want to get time using the OS. Dont plan to dump Windows, gaming is so much easier and I know it well enough.

Learning nuts and bolts of Linux on the hobby level to keep my brain active and learning kind of thing.

I do have the pieces and parts, sans a case & hd, to put together a 5950/6900 system if I do want to go whole hog.

The Pi seems like a good starting place.

I have not used ssh. I understand I should be able to ssh my router too.

Is there a good instruction guide to be found?
It’s like Telnet, only secure and more flexible. It can be used as a VPN and you can tunnel all traffic through it. It can transfer files. It’s pretty nice.

First intro to Linux: “help files” are called “man pages” (short for instruction manual I guess)

For just about anything you can type man (command) and get info about it. Man pages vary from extremely technical to hilariously whimsical depending on who maintains it.

But for Putty (a Windows ssh client) - it’s pretty much just like telnet

It’s like Telnet, only secure and more flexible. It can be used as a VPN and you can tunnel all traffic through it. It can transfer files. It’s pretty nice.

First intro to Linux: “help files” are called “man pages” (short for instruction manual I guess)

For just about anything you can type man (command) and get info about it. Man pages vary from extremely technical to hilariously whimsical depending on who maintains it.

In addition to this, most commands have a -help or -h flag that'll give you similar results as well.

<command> -h
<command> -help

So in other words, nerd mansplaining.

Putty - a dramatically inferior implementation of WSL2 :D. Really that’s probably half of what I use WSL for - to command line ssh to servers and run shell scripts.

**** did I just get canceled?

Didn’t realize #metoo was alive and well still

The guy asked a question.

nah ... just an off-beat humor attempt that possibly landed flat - a man file providing information (i.e., explaining) was condensed to "mansplaining". It was funny in my head, and definitely not meant as an insult regarding your helpful reply.

nah ... just an off-beat humor attempt that possibly landed flat - a man file providing information (i.e., explaining) was condensed to "mansplaining". It was funny in my head, and definitely not meant as an insult regarding your helpful reply.
Ok ok ok

I get it now - the joke totally went over my head

Hahaha

Sorry for getting defensive.

Its ok, you can 'splain me.

Sooooooo with the Pi 5 I'll likely pick up when I am free of Duck/house sitting, what flavor (Distro?) of linux is sugested?

Become a Patron!
Back