Logitech G502 HERO High Performance Gaming Mouse Review

LazyGamer

FPS Junkie

Introduction

Today we’re taking a look at the Logitech G502 HERO High Performance Gaming Mouse part number Black: 910-005469. It traces its origins back two decades to the classic Logitech MX500, a revolution of its time. Logitech themselves need no introduction having been mainstays of the desktop mouse industry since its infancy. And while Logitech has expanded its portfolio into other markets, they’ve definitely not lost sight of its core business.

The Logitech G502 HERO is a wired mouse that comes in two different color themes, both with...

Continue reading...

Oh, I have this mouse - I recently bought it to replace a Corsair M65. I largely agree with your well written review, and I like the pics of the ruler and scale!

There was nothing wrong with the previous M65 (which I would recommend, although I don't know if recent models are the same level of bulletproof as my older one) - it was working great. But I had it so long I couldn't quite get it all the way clean, so I figured in the spirit of Covid it was probably time to retire that (along with my K69 keyboard).

I chose the 502, mostly just to try something a bit different from the Corsair, and I don't regret it. It's a nice mouse - but I use 0 of the advanced features or extra buttons. I loaded up the default hardware profile to my preferred DPI, uninstalled the Logitech software, and it's been a great "set it and forget it" device.

It was slightly taller than my M65 - which meant that with my Ratzpad, it wouldn't fit in my desk pullout keyboard tray - the middle mouse button would hang. So I had to put my treasured Ratzpad into long term storage (it will probably outlast me and I am going to put it in my will) for the moment.

As far as being larger - yeah, it is a bit longer than the M65, but I didn't notice it being overly large. My wrist actually feels a lot better using the 502 over the M65 (I'm getting old, arthritis is catching up - but part of that could also be the new chair that I'm sitting in is better adjusted for posture)

Regarding weight - I prefer a heavy mouse, and I run with all the weights installed. So I guess that's a plus for me - but I am probably the furthest thing away from a twitch or FPS player - I'm more in the "Fat guy on the sofa" class of player.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I think the weight is a bit polarizing depending on use case, as is the size. The G502 is optimized for palm grips and steady, controlled inputs, and I dare say it's probably in the top of its class in that regard.

And aside from the basic six buttons common to gaming mice (L - M - R, Forward / Back, and sensitivity adjust), the scroll left and scroll right inputs on the mousewheel are also natively supported, while the sensitivity up / down buttons on the left side of the left trigger also work - out of the box.

So we mostly noted the size and weight as being outliers relative to where the market is going, and on balance, being very nice and very affordable for what it is!

This is a very good mouse. I have the OG 502 and the Hero 502. The Hero is my favorite sensor for a mouse. Razer's new one is pretty good but I just feel like the Hero sensor is virtually surgical.

The only complaint I have about both 502's is the rattle inside it. I even went so far as trying to stuff some paper in there to keep it quiet but it didn't work. I swap mice every few months for a new feel and I try this one too but that rattle drives me crazy so I mainly swap between my G Pro, DeathAdder and MX 518.

I also think Logitech has the best, most transparent software of any peripheral brand.

Great review. I looked at this mouse, but landed on the G703 instead. Too many buttons for me on the G502, especially due to my large hands I hit those buttons by mistake too often.

Great review. I looked at this mouse, but landed on the G703 instead. Too many buttons for me on the G502, especially due to my large hands I hit those buttons by mistake too often.

I thought I would too but never really did. I actually like the "sniper button" and used it more than I thought I would. You can set it at a custom DPI and it actually came in kinda handy in COD and other shooters which surprised me cause I thought it was kinda gimicky when I first read about it.

I did - all the time. Until I disabled them.

Awesome review @LazyGamer !! I currently have the Logitech MX518. It's a little small in my big palm, but is very usable none the less. I'd consider this one as a replacement when the time comes though.

I have the previous 16k sensor version of the G502. I bought it as a replacement for my old 2013 Deathadder after it started double clicking. I’d tried the G502 at PAX in 2019 (you know, back when you could actually go to exhibitions and try things), so I knew it was a comfortable mouse. I like the weight and solid feel of the thing. I add all the weights as well; it just feels better to me. Best mouse I’ve owned. Good to see Logitech iterating the sensor and not changing things up too much because honestly it doesn’t need changing.

I mostly like my G502 Proteus. One things I do not like is the position of the thumb button on the side. It's too far forward. If I position my hand so that button is more useful then the rear side button becomes useless.

I want a mouse where the thumb button is directly centered below the side buttons.

I don't palm grip mice. More of a claw grip person.

I mostly like my G502 Proteus. One things I do not like is the position of the thumb button on the side. It's too far forward. If I position my hand so that button is more useful then the rear side button becomes useless.

I want a mouse where the thumb button is directly centered below the side buttons.

I don't palm grip mice. More of a claw grip person.
I like where the thumb button is on my EVGA X17

shopping

I like where the thumb button is on my EVGA X17

shopping

Does the scroll wheel have detents or is it free spinning? One feature I love about the G502 is being able to change that on the fly. I prefer detents while gaming and free spinning while doing everything else.

Does the scroll wheel have detents or is it free spinning? One feature I love about the G502 is being able to change that on the fly. I prefer detents while gaming and free spinning while doing everything else.
Detents only. Feels nice.

Become a Patron!
Back