Looking for ideal D15 case

Endgame

Semi-regular
Hello all,

I’m looking for a nice case to work with for a new free (true) nas box.

I’m planning on a 5950 living permanently in ECO mode, with roughly 28 threads doing Distributn a VM, while the other 4 do NAS stuff.

Since it’s a NAS, it needs to be minimal maintenance (thus the D15) fit 4 3.5” drives, and have acceptable airflow.

If this case works well, I’ll be recommending it for Friend’s cases as well.

let me know what you think!

Hello all,

I’m looking for a nice case to work with for a new free (true) nas box.

I’m planning on a 5950 living permanently in ECO mode, with roughly 28 threads doing Distributn a VM, while the other 4 do NAS stuff.

Since it’s a NAS, it needs to be minimal maintenance (thus the D15) fit 4 3.5” drives, and have acceptable airflow.

If this case works well, I’ll be recommending it for Friend’s cases as well.

let me know what you think!
The list for this is quite long; a windowless Fractal Design Define R6 or whatever's current would be my first bet. Set up slightly positive airflow to keep it from sucking dust in through the cracks, put Noctua's on everything, win?

Plenty of other cases that cost more or even less that can do a similar job depending on the many, many variables involved to include aesthetics, size in one or many dimensions, ergonomics, and so on.

Personally I have eight 3.5" drives in a cheap NZXT case that I bought on clearance sale. Used Adaptec-rebranded controller for the drives, used (probably?) Intel X540 for networking to a 10Gbit switch, using the integrated Intel video... this stuff ain't hard. About the only thing I'd spring for in that box would be ECC memory, but I'd need to swap the board and CPU out to do that, and it ain't worth the cost.

My biggest concern is clearance for the D15, followed by room for 2 drives. I had considered like a $70 Corsair carbide 275r, but 5mm of clearance was a bit of a worry, and the last one of those I used wasn’t nearly as nice to work with as my define7 XL.

the removable top on the 7XL was a joy to work with, but I don’t need anything that big for my nas. I also don’t get to work with cases like I used to, so I don’t know what’s great to work with anymore.

Basically, are there any cases that are a joy to work with mid tower wise?

Become a Patron!
Back