LucasArts Has Been Reborn as Lucasfilm Games

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
lucasfilm-games-logo-1024x576.jpg
Image: Lucasfilm

Disney and Lucasfilm have announced that LucasArts, the legendary developer that gave us unforgettable games such as Grim Fandango, Maniac Mansion, and Star Wars: Dark Forces, is getting reverted back to its original name: Lucasfilm Games.

Sadly, the division will continue to function strictly as a licensor and have no involvement with actual game development, which shouldn’t surprise anyone who’s familiar with what happened after Disney bought Lucasfilm in 2012 for $4 billion. (The mouse decided to gut over 90 percent of the staff, leaving the fate of future Star Wars titles to third-party developers such as EA.)

“[…] Lucasfilm Games is now the official identity for all gaming titles from Lucasfilm, a name that encompasses the company’s rich catalog of video games and its eye toward the future,” a...

Continue reading...

How's that been working out for you Disney? It used to be that LucasArts games were generally pretty good There have been some good third party titles back in the day such as Knights of the Old Republic, but gutting Lucasarts as a cost savings move also seems to have limited their success greatly.

How's that been working out for you Disney? It used to be that LucasArts games were generally pretty good There have been some good third party titles back in the day such as Knights of the Old Republic, but gutting Lucasarts as a cost savings move also seems to have limited their success greatly.
True ans considering they are willing to sink 100s of millions into films seems dumb they wouldn't do the same thing with games.
Then again Disney is a corporate beige machine, so, meh.

Tax write off.... They obviously aren't interested in good games or movies.

The mouse knows how to make money to appease its own greed.

Are there any games coming up? Seems every game that looks promising just gets canceled by them anyways...

I'd love to see another kotor story but I don't see that happening. At least not as well.

Disney has been sinking a ton of money into games. Mobile games. Which have crazy amounts of revenue. The only surprise with this announcement is they didnt rebrand LucasArts as mobile-focused... but I guess there is still time to do that.

I'd love to see another kotor story but I don't see that happening. At least not as well.

Such a thing would be highly unlikely as the stories of Revan and the Exile were concluded in The Old Republic MMO. One of the game's expansions actually centers on the topic. Their stories were concluded in a way that had mixed reactions to say the least.

The mouse has been slapped hard by the pandemic. So I fully believe that disney is now a for profit business again. As in, they'll try to appease the consumers instead of leaving the tentacles to flop around in social justice land.

Become a Patron!
Back