Marvel’s Avengers Adds Paid XP and Resource Boosts, Breaking Earlier Promises

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
marvels-avengers-hero-art-feature-1024x576.jpg
Image: Crystal Dynamics

Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics have added paid XP and resource boosts to Marvel’s Avengers, allowing players of the superhero game to accelerate their characters’ progress by paying real money. The decision has already managed to stir significant controversy, as the developers had promised in the past that Marvel’s Avengers would have not have any sort of pay-to-win element. Monetization was supposed to be strictly limited to cosmetics.

“Our promise to the community is that we won’t have random loot boxes or pay-to-win scenarios,” senior community manager Meagan Marie said during a presentation for the game at E3 2019.

Studio head Scot Amos echoed that a week later in an interview with GamesIndustry.biz. “The idea...

Continue reading...

That is downright shady. Instead of making the game better they decided to make a paid cheat. Nice.

That is downright shady. Instead of making the game better they decided to make a paid cheat. Nice.
Well, in all fairness, none of those people who they made the promises to in 2019 play the game anymore, so may as well cater to the whales.

I tried the demo, and honestly was one of the worst games I have played.

The single player is ok if you like the MCU but the multiplayer is boring.

If you can find it for super cheap (under $10), I'd say snag it for the SP but otherwise I recommend avoiding it.

The MP grind was never worth it to get to where the game should have been. All the depth of the combat took FOREVER to get to before they nerfed the XP.

If they had made leveling fast, this game would have likely been a hit for the deep combat that maybe .05% of the playerbase got to experience.

The single player is ok if you like the MCU but the multiplayer is boring.
I didn't even know this had single player. All the marketing focused on multiplayer. Unless by single player you mean you can do the mmo style missions solo.

I didn't even know this had single player. All the marketing focused on multiplayer. Unless by single player you mean you can do the mmo style missions solo.
No it has a decent single player storyline to play through. Not terribly long, but long enough to make it worth a play through - a bit longer than Anthem’s was. Totally independent of MCU, thankfully and surprisingly.

Makes me question my ffxiv sub
I wouldn’t be so worried about this unless they can Yoshida from it. FF is under a completely different studio and they will move heaven and earth to protect that IP. Yoshi has been pretty transparent and open about his vision for XIV and S/E has given him a pretty long leash to do that. It seems to be paying off with the recent WoW defections and upcoming xpac.

It does make me worry about the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy that is from the same studio as Avengers.

Last edited:
The virtue signaling Ms. Marvel is the main character in the single player, so you're not missing anything.

The virtue signaling Ms. Marvel is the main character in the single player, so you're not missing anything.
Hmm idk

I mean, on one had - yeah, it was a teenage muslim girl. So there's a pretty loud statement right there.

On the other hand - they never make any mention of any "woke" anything anywhere else. They don't beat you over the head with the fact that she is a muslim, or a girl, or anything other than young. There is no great racial, gender, sexual orientation, or other social injustice apart from Evil Corporation versus people with superpowers. You even have to assume she's muslim from her clothing, they don't come out and say anything about her really.

Become a Patron!
Back