Marvel Studios Reportedly Bringing Charlie Cox’s Daredevil, John Bernthal’s Punisher, and More into the MCU

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
netflix-daredevil-punisher-elektra-group-1024x576.jpg
Image: Netflix

Marvel Studios has traditionally drawn a line between its Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) films and the Marvel productions that spawned on Netflix, but the two universes are reportedly coming together. This is according to a report shared by pop culture outlet That Hashtag Show today, which claims that MCU overlord Kevin Feige has agreed to introduce fan favorites Daredevil (Charlie Cox), Kingpin (Vincent D’Onofrio), The Punisher (John Bernthal), and Jessica Jones (Krysten Ritter) into future Marvel films and Disney+ shows. Luke Cage and Iron Fist are also expected to make experiences, but those roles are supposedly being recast due to their shows’ lukewarm reception.

#Marvel plans to bring back...

Continue reading...

Good news, I really enjoyed Daredevil. Hopefully they'll keep the violent content and not tone it down to fit their current Disney+ Marvel content.

These rumors have been flying around forever... I'll believe it when I see something concrete.... I've also seen rumors of Daredevil showing up in Spiderman 3 as Spidey's Lawyer....

Daredevil was the best of the Netflix serieses IMO, Iron Fist was the worst. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage tied in the middle.

For any of these characters to be brought into the MCU their relative power levels and capabilities need to be amped up a large amount and made more integral to the story.

Part of the attraction of these heroes stories was their more street level effectiveness and the story was largely more about the setting and the characters than about the powers and abilities.

What is daredevil when you get down to it? A martial artist with amazing perceptive abilities.

They will have to make him able to nerve punch a raged out hulk to stun him. Smart enough to out maneuver a corrupt politicians legal team. And still the blind lawyer guy. He will be elevated to regional conflicts with larger set pieces and such.

The punisher will become a more lethal version of batman. Somehow... he doesn't belong in the cinematic mcu.

Jessica Jones, a strong hero that will maybe learn to fly maybe and join the other tip tier heroes as she defeats her self doubt and alcoholism... is that a story we need to see on the silver screen? Or is it better served with episodic content. Sure they could do both but meh...

If they were going to transition any series to the MCU they should use the agents of shield. At least they are set up to directly participate in global conflict. I would have loved a passing shot of that crew holding a pocket location in the last avengers movie. Maybe trying to coordinate a shield response to the invasion.

The actors playing these roles were quite good even though their series' were mediocre. I'd agree Daredevil is the best of them. Punisher entertained me, but it does suffer from horrendous pacing issues like all of the Marvel Netflix shows. If this is true, I;d be glad to see it as these actors did great work in the roles.

Agree. Iron First could ... just go away. The rest, I'd be happy to see come back in some form or fashion. They weren't the best cinema I've ever watched, but they were entertaining. And D'Onofrio's Kingpin was very, very good.

I'm pretty happy with this news. I totally agree with @Dan_D about the pacing, it was brutal at times which is also typical for a lot of streaming series in general and especially Netflix. I kind of had to force myself to get into them but once I did it was a blast. I'm one of the few who didn't mind Iron Fist. Back in the day, I had the last 50 or so issues of the original PowerMan/Iron Fist comics so it was nice to see some representation but I agree it could have been better. I had most of The Defenders, original and New, and that series was the worst for me but that's also because I'd much rather have seen Valkyrie, Gargoyle, and Moondragon. For Iron Fist, they could've had an incredible season going more in-depth with the dragon. Jessica Jones was a pleasant surprise but I'm also a fan of Kristen Ritter. Daredevil, well, we all know it's good and he and the team nailed it.

I agree that the actors, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, DareDevil, all of them I really liked the characters. The weakness, in my mind, some of the shows showed, s3 Jessica, Luke, Iron Fist, was writing/story not performance skill at all.

I really liked the Danny Rand character, even if some of the story sucked. I also think Alfre Woodard did a wonderful job as Mariah. Along with many others.

I'd very much seeing many, if not all, the original actors back with better writing and better stories.

One wonders if the MCU version will have Stick, Mrs Dillard, and others back alive?

punch a raged out hulk
That was Danny's thing. DIdn't work out too well but it was cool. RE: Hulk #299-300. Yeah, I am a major Marvel nerd. For that matter, Marvel is sitting on a goldmine of stories following those Hulk issues when he gets banished which could be a cool DIsney+ series.

The punisher will become a more lethal version of batman. Somehow... he doesn't belong in the cinematic mcu.

Jessica Jones, a strong hero that will maybe learn to fly maybe and join the other tip tier heroes as she defeats her self doubt and alcoholism... is that a story we need to see on the silver screen? Or is it better served with episodic content. Sure they could do both but meh...
You have good points with these 2. Neither really fit in the current MCU - it's too binary right now: either your good, or evil. These two characters are shades of gray, and cross a lot of boundaries even if they ultimately tend to side with the good guys. And honestly, I thought these two shows, and characters, were at their best when they were in that gray area: trying to make the best out of no-win situations, and willing to break the rules to get to where they needed.

The closest thing MCU has to that right now would be Wandavision - and they got rid of the gray entirely by showing the ultimate villain there (no spoilers). I guess Civil War might come close, but that was more a clash in how to be good, rather than bending rules.

You have good points with these 2. Neither really fit in the current MCU - it's too binary right now: either your good, or evil. These two characters are shades of gray, and cross a lot of boundaries even if they ultimately tend to side with the good guys. And honestly, I thought these two shows, and characters, were at their best when they were in that gray area: trying to make the best out of no-win situations, and willing to break the rules to get to where they needed.

The closest thing MCU has to that right now would be Wandavision - and they got rid of the gray entirely by showing the ultimate villain there (no spoilers). I guess Civil War might come close, but that was more a clash in how to be good, rather than bending rules.
Too true. It's been something I've been a bit annoyed by, but expected, from the MCU. I'm glad they've gotten out what they have but there's no doubt on what's been taken out. It's what originally drew me to Marvel in the '70s and '80s, that street level, down on the ground approach.

I liked most of the series, iron fist was pretty bad though, the main char was the worst, he was all over the place then again I never read any if the comics as they were not available around here so I can't use those as a reference.

The villain in the first jessica jones was at best meh, but at least her disposition made it fun to watch

I liked most of the series, iron fist was pretty bad though, the main char was the worst, he was all over the place then again I never read any if the comics as they were not available around here so I can't use those as a reference.

The villain in the first jessica jones was at best meh, but at least her disposition made it fun to watch

Yeah, for Iron Fist you could tell the people behind the camera were not unified on the direction they wanted to go. I'm not saying I think the actor was great but I don't blame him or anyone else onscreen for the show's faults.

For Jessica, yep! that's Kristen.

Become a Patron!
Back