Maybe save yourself a few bucks and get more speed?

Grimlakin

FPS Enthusiast
So I looked at my spectrum bill. Paying over 90 bucks a month for 400mb down and like 30 up on a good day. So I thought... you know I bet Frontier worked out their **** and the problem I had with them was TV never internet. So I went ahead and checked their 1 gig prices. For 1 gig down and 1 gig up. 75 bucks a month. I'm so in. Should be getting installed tomorrow then I can call and cancel spectrum.

So if you are lucky enough to have multiple carriers in your region check out prices especially if you are out of the promo time periods.

Crazy. I got spectrum at 400mb for 29.99 a month @ 2 years for the house. When that changes, I’ll go with google fiber probably.

yes, always explore options if possible

I wish I had options... In the sticks, it's either Optimum, or bust. Too far for DSL, and fiber?? HAHAHAHAHAHAH ohhhh... gotta catch my breath.... HAHAHAHAHAHA

Stuck in Comcast hell until my Starlink kit arrives some time next year 😡.

I basically have the choice of Spectrum cable or Frontier FIOS. I've had the latter for about five years. Initially I just had 300MB down/up but I was paying way too much and now I pay right around $90 or so for gigabit up and down.

I basically have the choice of Spectrum cable or Frontier FIOS. I've had the latter for about five years. Initially I just had 300MB down/up but I was paying way too much and now I pay right around $90 or so for gigabit up and down.
Exact same here Dan_D.

For you guys stuck on a particular Carrirer. If you have 5g out where you are maybe look into Verizon's 5g Home hub saying it can deliver gigabit performance.

For you guys stuck on a particular Carrirer. If you have 5g out where you are maybe look into Verizon's 5g Home hub saying it can deliver gigabit performance.
Wireless is never reliable enough. Plus, I'd imagine there is a bit more latency with that. No thanks.

Wireless is never reliable enough. Plus, I'd imagine there is a bit more latency with that. No thanks.

Sounds like you need a jump to conclusions mat? A friend of mine just ditched Kabletown for T-Mobile 5g home service for $50/month. He's getting 762mb down and 96mb up with a 17ms ping to a local area server - so maybe adding 7-10ish ms compared to a wired line. No complaints on gaming latency yet either.

Sounds like you need a jump to conclusions mat? A friend of mine just ditched Kabletown for T-Mobile 5g home service for $50/month. He's getting 762mb down and 96mb up with a 17ms ping to a local area server - so maybe adding 7-10ish ms compared to a wired line. No complaints on gaming latency yet either.
I've got Verizon's poor 5G service (and it's only 1-2 bars at BEST) at home. 5G for Internet isn't an option for me.

Nope. My experiences with wireless anything have generally been horrendous. I'm sure as **** not ditching synchronous gigabit service for $90 a month to go with some wireless bullshit that's not going to be as fast and may or may not be reliable.

Nope. My experiences with wireless anything have generally been horrendous. I'm sure as **** not ditching synchronous gigabit service for $90 a month to go with some wireless bullshit that's not going to be as fast and may or may not be reliable.
Well that statement I made wasn't to you then was it. I think you knew that. But for people with satellite or microwave bs internet or nothing else it might be an attractive offer for them.

In addition that comment on latency above.. 14ms is what I got with Comcast so color me impressed if the Verizon unit is basically equivalent in ping but faster in throughput than most cable services.

Well that statement I made wasn't to you then was it. I think you knew that. But for people with satellite or microwave bs internet or nothing else it might be an attractive offer for them.

In addition that comment on latency above.. 14ms is what I got with Comcast so color me impressed if the Verizon unit is basically equivalent in ping but faster in throughput than most cable services.
I was responding to David. I agree though. If you have no other options then it would be compelling, but there is no reason for someone like me to get it. Also, the issue I have is that my experiences with wireless anything have never been great.

I haven't seen any cellular-based service that isn't data capped so low or with extraordinary per-Gb charges as to be nearly useless apart from casual web browsing. My wife has a Verizon "unlimited" but that doesn't allow connection sharing from her phone, so ok, and even if you did finagle it by popping the sim card into something else, it throttles rather than charge overage, so you drop to something like 25kbps, which will still load email and web pages, but very noticeably degraded.

Sure, even 4G was faster than my DSL/radio connects were, but it was capped at 4G/month, at $10/g overage charge. We don't have 5G where I live yet, not even down in the nearest major town, which is kinda odd, but I've become used to living in a backwater. 4G is not faster than Starlink though, and I haven't compared latencies, I don't recall what latency I get through 4G and too lazy to test it.

The latest Forza game would have cost me something like $1k to download over a cell connection.

Last edited:
I have the option to get Verizon's 5G service at my place. I currently pay around $85 a month for Spectrum 200/10 Mbps service. I think, being a Verizon wireless customer already and having auto-pay already setup I'd be paying around $60 a month for their 5G service.

I ordered it about 2 weeks ago, took a Monday off work when they said they'd be there to set it up. Sometime in the late afternoon I got an email from them stating something along the lines of they knocked, no one answered so they wanted to reschedule for another time. Was home, the entire day. No one knocked except DoorDash. Told them to kick rocks.

Become a Patron!
Back