Meteor lake 155H based laptop. MSI Prestige 16 AI

Grimlakin

Forum Posting Supreme
Solid device feels good in the hands if light. But I'm coming from a i7 6600 based laptop so it's not a apples to apples comparison. First the specs.

CPU Meteor lake 155H (second tier to the newest portable ai accelerated CPU's.)
Memory 32gb DDR5 at 6400mhz
Storage PCIE 4x 1 tb.
Screen a bonkers OLED display but refresh rate locked to 60hz... not sure that I care really but that was a surprise. HDR is not certified. And refresh rate as noted is locked at 60hz. Though I am running with HDR on and it seems fine thus far.
I've installed office, discord, itunes, notepad++ and restored my other apps from my old laptop automagically. ;) So that was nice. (basically windows terminal.) Watching an older video in itunes... not the best experience. Going to try streaming some 4k content from netflix or disney + now. Disney + looks great. No issues there.

Now for some disk I/O testing...
1703040698646.png

So not the very best out there but not terribly bad... I mean... for NVME 4 it's lower tier. But it's somewhat better than SSD! ;)

Last edited:
One note, I have about 60 gig of assorted files stored on my one drive. Telling windows to just keep a local copy of everything... it's doing the download but hitting around 35-40% CPU use depending. Going through a thunderbolt brick connected to wired internet...

One note, I have about 60 gig of assorted files stored on my one drive. Telling windows to just keep a local copy of everything... it's doing the download but hitting around 35-40% CPU use depending. Going through a thunderbolt brick connected to wired internet...
Appears to be typical OneDrive behavior. Otherwise nice to see they're not sandbagging with DDR5 speeds!

Not in the least. Now note this is NOT a gaming system. While I will tinker with some games... I will also be tinkering with some local AI work on it to see how it handles it. Is it somehow BETTER than my desktop in my sig? If I can get it set up to use proper accelerators for my 7900xtx or not? things like that I want to see. but here let me fire up my old laptop... so you can understand what I am coming from...

My memory was off it's an i7-6700HQ

4 core 8 thread.

Slammed on boot. (100% CPU)

Sandisk Z400s M,2 2280 256gb boot (SLOW)

WDC wd10jpvx-75JC3TO 1tb HDD. (EVEN SLOWER)

Intel dual band wireless-AC adaptor. (new has WIFI 7 killer NIC drivers on intel hardware.

GPU GTX960M... The integrated on the new one might actually be better!!!

Time to retire this old horse. Just looked at my user account on it... from 2016. Solid Dell inspirion laptop.

Added note... generational improvements MATTER. Copied a bunch of music I didn't realize I had on the old laptop.. just about 60 gigs worth. Moved it off to a USB drive I had. Now copying that up to the new laptop and letting it sync it to teams. Writing to the USB platter drive.. 20-40MB a second. Reading off of it to the new laptop.. I'm observing a sustained 60MB a second. And it's syncing it out to my one drive at about the same speed. very nice.. new toys ARE fun. ;) I honestly didn't realize how long in the tooth the old laptop had become.

Last edited:
Some other notes... doing general stuff on the laptop... was at the hospital with the wife, Watched Up ( DL's locally over itunes, a hospital tradition for us.) together, watched 2 or 3 episodes of Supernatural (streaming over netflix), did a couple hours of generic surfing. This was Yesterday. Today I surfed for a couple hours and still had 3 hours of battery left. Seems really good. At least with my seat of my pants review.

Is there anything specific you want me to try/test? Let me know.

Last edited:
Ran through a Geekbench CPU score and received the following:
1703390597268.png
Comparable to a 12700 so not bad.

Also note that there is a bios update Intel released (not yet available from MSI as this posting 12/23/2023) that supposedly boosts double digit %. So even if it gave a 10% boost to performance in the Ryzen 7 7700 to Intel 13700 performance range.

Now running the GPU test.

In openCL these are my results:
1703390952208.png

Looking at geekbench results:
So faster than a 1060 for an igpu. Not bad.

Last edited:
Something I find very odd. If you want to see scores like this for this series of laptop or even CPU you pretty much need to come to this thread. Looking around online nobody is doing it other than a few people doing Linux based testing. And even those are limited.

I suspect we will see more units sampled out once we see the 165H series laptops and devices start shipping.

Applied the bios update from 11-23, rebooted, closed down the TOBI experience, Steam and Discord... running the Geekbench tests again. Post Bios Update I will say the heat is more noticeable from a touch to the keyboard standpoint. Some of the items Geekbench is testing should be accelerated by the NPU but no load is observable on the NPU for these items. I suspect code is just not updated to use the NPU.

Single Core: 2350, Multicore: 13186.

I suspect if I gave the laptop time to cool down post the BIOS update it would be better. Also need to boot into the bios and confirm settings. Doing that now. Will update. (Once in bios noted I was not in performance mode. Remedied this and booting back into the OS and disable Tobi, Steam, and discord again.

Performance mode made no difference results are within the margin of error.

Last edited:
Note about the Tobi 'AI' privacy feature..
1. I never ever noticed it actually using the API.
2. It DOES increase the 'idle' load on the main 22 threads to 7%. So in effect almost consuming completely 2 threads of compute ghz depending..

and lastly

3. If I were in an office space, using this laptop... especially that had a problem with lookyloos. I would totally use it.

If you walk away it blurs the screen and uses facial recognition to unlock it again. It can blur your screen if it detects someone else looking over your shoulder too. Really kind of cool. No it won't stop remote monitoring or screen recording but you can't have everything. ;)

Become a Patron!
Back