Micro Center Apologizes for Bias Against AMD Radeon Graphics Cards

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-radeon-rx-6900-xt-front-background-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

Micro Center recently published graphics card buying advice on its official storefront that raised a lot of eyebrows within the AMD Radeon community. According to the electronics retailer’s now-removed post, AMD Radeon graphics cards aren’t as favorable as NVIDIA’s options because they “require modification or regular maintenance” to work properly and lack key technologies such as ray tracing unlike GeForce GPUs, which “function much like video games consoles” and are largely “plug and play.” Micro Center CEO Rick Merchad has since published an apology, noting that AMD graphics cards “offer top-of-the-line performance, including ray...

Continue reading...

I wish I had a MC around here so I could hate on them too

What do you want? I'll send it to you
LOL, sorry, no I wasn't trying to diss on you. It does look that way, it wasn't intended. I apologize.

I was just lamenting that the nearest MC to me is at best 5 hours away, depending on Los Angeles traffic. I see they often have decent in-store pricing, but I've never been in one. There's nothing in particular I'm after at the moment, other than I wish we still had any sort of electronics store left in my neck of the woods. Since CompUSA closed, it's been barren - Staples and Best Buy are the closest things we have left around here. Even Fry's, which used to be 3 hours away, is gone.

Actually Mc has been good about not having huge markups. Ita the aib vendors that are jacking prices up.

LOL, sorry, no I wasn't trying to diss on you. It does look that way, it wasn't intended. I apologize.

I was just lamenting that the nearest MC to me is at best 5 hours away, depending on Los Angeles traffic. I see they often have decent in-store pricing, but I've never been in one. There's nothing in particular I'm after at the moment, other than I wish we still had any sort of electronics store left in my neck of the woods. Since CompUSA closed, it's been barren - Staples and Best Buy are the closest things we have left around here. Even Fry's, which used to be 3 hours away, is gone.
Didn't take it as such, no worries :)

Having toured the one in Dallas recently, the prices still aren't high enough to keep stock on the shelves :cautious:
Isn't that the truth.

While I am sure it's just a reflection of vendor pricing, MC still doesn't have affordable pricing on video cards. GT 1030's over $100, and have yet to see AMD cards anywhere near MSRP.

The one in KC maintains bare shelves in the video card isle.
As long as they continue to sell at inflated prices, I shall not be buying at those stores.

Last edited:
There is quite a bit of stock at the Rockville microcenter, especially 6700XTs and 6900s. I’ve even seen 3080tis on the shelf 3 times in the last 2 weeks.

AIB prices are pretty crazy though. Almost no manufacturer is selling anything at msrp.

Thankfully Mc is a vendor for the elusive Nvidia direct card. Problem is they can't keep those on a shelf.

Very poor taste to post this on MicroCenters part.

There is quite a bit of stock at the Rockville microcenter, especially 6700XTs and 6900s. I’ve even seen 3080tis on the shelf 3 times in the last 2 weeks.

AIB prices are pretty crazy though. Almost no manufacturer is selling anything at msrp.
Yeah they have been looking better over at the Rockville location. Looks like we are relatively close by then Endgame! I got more competition now when going to buy GPUs! :LOL::ROFLMAO:😅

Become a Patron!
Back