Microsoft Announces Windows 11, Available This Holiday

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
microsoft-windows-11-start-menu-centered-light-theme-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Microsoft has officially unveiled the next version of its popular Windows operating system, Windows 11. As alluded to by the avalanche of leaks that have come out over the past week, Windows 11 aims to provide an improved experience over its Windows 10 predecessor with a new user interface that features redesigned elements such as a new Start menu, rounded windows corners, and the option for centered taskbar buttons. Windows 11 users can also expect to see an all-new Microsoft store, AI-powered Widgets, and the ability to use Android apps on Windows by the end of the year. Windows 11 will be available as a free upgrade for eligible Windows 10 PCs and new PCs this holiday.

To check if your current Windows 10 PC is eligible for the free upgrade to Windows 11, visit...

Continue reading...

I thought Pamos was going to cry he seemed very emotional.

and Doom64?

Double failure trying to make an OSX look alike and quasi apple event.

I've been running 11 for a few days now .. mainly to see if gaming performance was any better.
So far it's about the same with Hunt:Showdown (haven't tried other games yet).
It's been running really good/stable .. boot up is quicker and does "feel" a bit snappier. My only complaint is that I can't get a taskbar to work on my secondary monitor .. I can get it to show up, but I can't pin anything to it .. I'm sure that will be rectified when it's officially released though.

Lol, none of my PC's meet the requirements. Windows PC health check says a PC with 32 gig of ram, 3700x, 2070 and an 500 gig NVME can't run Win 11.

Uh..... Ok. Eff 11 man
Check TPM setting in the BIOS - for some reason if you have that off it just says you can't install.

Am I missing something? Doesn't appear Trusted Platform Module is the issue

TPM.jpg

What does the compatibility app tell you then?

Mine gave me this generic template, and the only thing that looked fishy was TPM -- which checking for me, was in fact disabled in the BIOS. I enabled it, the compatibility checker then gave me the OK. Not saying it has to be TPM for you too, but pretty much any PC made in the past few years is going to meet every requirement, except possibly the TPM one - from the best I can tell, 2.0 was released in 2017 and may require a BIOS update.

Minimum system requirements
Processor1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or System on a Chip (SoC)
Memory4 GB RAM
Storage64 GB or larger storage device
System firmwareUEFI, Secure Boot capable
TPMTrusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0
Graphics cardDirectX 12 compatible graphics / WDDM 2.x
Display>9” with HD Resolution (720p)
Internet connectionMicrosoft account and internet connectivity required for setup for Windows 11 Home
Certain features require specific hardware, see detailed system requirements.

That's kind of what I figured. I'll find out for sure next weekend on the 2400g box.

The rest of them that I have are fine with Win 10 or Linux.

I just want one machine with this new stuff so I can be like the cool kids and hate on it.

Yeesh, they just left a whole slew of usable desktops just barely 4 or 5 years old in the dust with the CPU support list.

i7 4790k, 16GB Ram, 500GB SSD... can't install Windows 11.

Tell me exactly how a CPU like the 4790k shouldn't be able to run W11.

Yeesh, they just left a whole slew of usable desktops just barely 4 or 5 years old in the dust with the CPU support list.

i7 4790k, 16GB Ram, 500GB SSD... can't install Windows 11.

Tell me exactly how a CPU like the 4790k shouldn't be able to run W11.
Oh it won't a problem. It'll be like the link above Brian B posted. At best a disclaimer will pop up saying install is not advised and it'll install fine.

that pc healthcheck thingie does not even run on my pc

Ran the health check on my main PC and it said it wasn't compatible. After some long searching in the Asus bios I finally found PTT and enabled it so now everything is fine. Not sure that I'll be an early adopter on Win 11 or not.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back