Microsoft Confirms 12 TFLOPS GPU for Xbox Series X: Twice the Power of an Xbox One X

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
xbox-series-x-console-controller-1-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Phil Spencer shared new details on the Xbox Series X today, and it sounds like it’s shaping up to be a real beast of a console. The head of Xbox confirmed that the next-generation system houses an incredibly powerful processor that puts its predecessors – and possibly, its competition – to shame.

At the heart of the system is a “custom designed processor leveraging AMD’s latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures,” which, according to Spencer, allows the Xbox Series X to deliver “four times the processing power of an Xbox One” and frame rates of up to 120 FPS. The GPU boasts 12 TFLOPS of performance in total, “twice that of an Xbox One X and more than eight times the original Xbox One.”

Variable Rate Shading (VRS) and hardware-accelerated DirectX...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
What does 12 Teraflops equate to or come close to in the PC market?

Quick research that is a bit faster than a 1080ti but 1 tflop slower than a 2080ti.

Last edited:
It’s always been kind of a red herring, as TFLOPs don’t precisely translate to FPS. And there are other advantages consoles have with respect to optimization and performance over a PC, so I would expect the console to give a real world experience that is a bit better than a similarly powered PC.

Which means it may actually be able to pull off some 4K/60 content...

It also means my PC is overdue for an upgrade....

All this backwards compatibility stuff is just what I want to hear. I have a large older game library and am totally down to jump back to Xbox after staying away from the Xbox One. I hope they learn their lessons with the crap interface of Xbox One... advertising to me relentlessly every time I boot it up is gonna be hard no.

Man you know what @Dudhunter I completely forgot about all of my old Guitar hero and early Rockband games. Being able to play those again would be awesome.

Anyone know if the old controllers will work as well? Crap mine are all gone anyway. Anyone know of someone that will make controllers to work with the old games on the new xbox.

Anyone know if the old controllers will work as well? Crap mine are all gone anyway. Anyone know of someone that will make controllers to work with the old games on the new xbox.
"As well as the Xbox Series X controller being supported on Xbox One, Xbox One X and PC, the reverse is true as well - with original Xbox One peripherals working with Xbox Series X, thanks to the drive to offer extensive Xbox backwards compatibility. This includes controllers - including the line of Xbox Elite Controllers - which will be fully supported on the system."

@DrezKill is it just me or does it look a lot like the old XBox360 interface? I’m heartened to see that bureaucracy is capable of fixing mistakes if enough money is at stake.

Become a Patron!
Back