Microsoft Ending Support for Windows 10 in 2025

I think it could happen, but only if there also would be a "Free" version thats watered down and possibly ad driven.

Great so a return to the Era of eMachines. No thank you.

Not about if we like it or not, but rather how MS would justify a sub by offering a "Free" version.
And, hopefully, there would remain the option to pay to remain ad free, or whatever other "Free" constraints exist (gather/sell data, restrict features, only allow MS Store apps, etc). Although... most companies have found you can charge people and still throw ads in there hoover all your personal data and the people will just live with it...

We all know how greedy M$ is. I can see them moving to a subscription based OS, just like they've moved to subscription based products for pretty much everything else they offer.

We all know how greedy M$ is. I can see them moving to a subscription based OS, just like they've moved to subscription based products for pretty much everything else they offer.

I don't have a problem with a company making money - that is, after all, what they exist to do - create a goods and services in exchange for money.

I don't even have a problem with a company making high margins, as long as they allow competition and a fair playing field - that allows consumers to make the choice on paying the margin or ... going with Option B.

MS hasn't always had the best business practices. It's no doubt their policy of embrace, extend, extinguish has served their shareholders well, but hasn't really been in the best interest of consumers or the computer industry in general.

That said - MS needs to make some money if they are to stick around. I don't begrudge them that. The subscription model isn't my favorite, but so long as the net price remains about the same over the lifecycle of the software, and they are upfront about what they are providing (and doing under the hood) and continue to offer value, I wouldn't boycott them over it either.

I expect yet another push for the MS store with tighter integration, a subscription based option, but for servers, not home versions, and maybe even a free option to go head to head with chrome OS

I fear control panel legacy options will be gone. Gonna miss those.

And of course yet another attempt at an ARM Windows version, hopefully 64bit this time.

If they build it into the office 365 sub for another couple bucks I'm fine with it.

I expect yet another push for the MS store with tighter integration, a subscription based option, but for servers, not home versions, and maybe even a free option to go head to head with chrome OS

I fear control panel legacy options will be gone. Gonna miss those.

And of course yet another attempt at an ARM Windows version, hopefully 64bit this time.

Yea you'll need to launch the msc interface to find your control panels. It's a pain but at least that still works. *knocks on wood*

Kinda looks like 11 may be the new Vista. C'mon 24th and quell the rumors.

Become a Patron!
Back