Microsoft Flight Simulator’s Physical Edition Comprises 10 Discs

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
microsoft-flight-simulator-10-discs.jpg
Image: Aerosoft

Considering the enormous sizes of today’s big-budget games – like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, which now weighs in at a ridiculous 200 GB – you may have wondered how many discs they’d take up if physical PC editions were still a frequent thing. Well, Aerosoft is going to show you with its deluxe, boxed versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator, which comprise 10 discs in a beautiful, €129.99 ($148) gatefold pacakge. Yes, that’s correct – 10 discs! Here’s what’s contained across all of that plastic, as detailed by forum admin Mathijs Kok.

The simulator code itself (the ‘sim’) that is pretty small in size, this...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
And you know it will have a day zero 20gb patch to download

Who has optical drives in their PCs these days?

Why didn't they just go with some sort of a flash drive media?

Who has optical drives in their PCs these days?

Why didn't they just go with some sort of a flash drive media?
Price per GB is still twice that for USB flash compared to DVD (around $0.08 vs. $0.04). I imagine it's also more expensive to produce USB flash drives. While not significant to the consumer, it probably is when you're potentially making hundreds of thousands of copies to distribute. Physical is also a continually shrinking market where profit margins are getting slimmer.

My first thought was, why the **** didn't they just go with a blu-ray disc? Then I thought about how most people don't use optical drives anymore, even less use a blu-ray drive (haha I still have two drives in my main desktop, one is a blu-ray drive too). So then I wondered why they didn't just go with a flash drive, like when you buy a Windows 10 physical retail package.
Price per GB is still twice that for USB flash compared to DVD (around $0.08 vs. $0.04). I imagine it's also more expensive to produce USB flash drives.
That's probably why they didn't use a flash drive. 10 ****ing DVDs though, sheesh. I love physical media, but that's a lot. I remember when UT2K4 gave you a choice of 6 CDs or a single DVD, I was like **** the CD release. I didn't mind having to install games from multiple floppies and store all those disks, but 10 ****ing DVDs?! No thanks.

My first thought was, why the **** didn't they just go with a blu-ray disc? Then I thought about how most people don't use optical drives anymore, even less use a blu-ray drive (haha I still have two drives in my main desktop, one is a blu-ray drive too). So then I wondered why they didn't just go with a flash drive, like when you buy a Windows 10 physical retail package.

That's probably why they didn't use a flash drive. 10 ****ing DVDs though, sheesh. I love physical media, but that's a lot. I remember when UT2K4 gave you a choice of 6 CDs or a single DVD, I was like **** the CD release. I didn't mind having to install games from multiple floppies and store all those disks, but 10 ****ing DVDs?! No thanks.
I would love a quad layer Blu-ray option, but I am one of those weirdos with a Blu-ray drive in my PC. I'd have a UHD drive if 4K playback wasn't locked down to specific hardware and software... I was so happy when PC games finally started coming on DVD with regularity. I think Crysis in 2007 was the first game I bought that came on a DVD without having to look for that as an option.

I had the CD version of UT2K4. The packaging was gorgeous, at least. Compared to Far Cry on 5 CDs in a standard jewel case where the discs were falling out at the slightest tap.

Become a Patron!
Back