Microsoft Flight Simulator Game of the Year Edition Announced, Includes New Aircraft, DirectX 12 Support, and More

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
microsoft-flight-simualtor-super-hornet-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Xbox has announced that Microsoft Flight Simulator will be getting a new Game of the Year Edition to celebrate the incredible success and popularity that the original has attained since its launch in August 2020. Microsoft Flight Simulator Game of the Year Edition will feature quite a number of additions, such as brand-new aircraft and airports. Players can also expect new missions, new tutorials, new photogrammetry cities, an updated weather system, and DirectX 12 support.

A sample of what’s included in the GOTY Edition, per Microsoft:

New Aircraft

Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet: Our first military jet and a highly requested feature from the community. The Top Gun: Maverick expansion will release with the movie next Spring, but we wanted simmers to have the opportunity to test their need for speed this...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's hoping DLSS and VSR support is among that "and more", because this title could really use it!

Oh, yeah, the GOTY edition, the best way to show your customers you don't* care about them :p

*Unless of course they offer a free or very cheap step up option, for those who purchased the original deluxe edition for €100 or whatever it was, It might have cost even more than that.

The GOTY edition is free to owners of the game, it's a completely free update. Think of it like a Windows seasonal release if you will, a big update, with a name, cause it has so many new additional features and updates. It's free man! How can you not appreciate that!

I am VERY surprised the game wasn't DX12-exclusive from the get-go. I didn't even know until this announcement that it has been DX11 since it launched! I'm not used to seeing that from Microsoft-published games. I feel like ever since the time XB1X came around, if not earlier, that all games using Microsoft-owned IPs were only using DX12. Actually, come to think of it, BattleToads 2020 was DX11 as well (and I played it on a Win7 machine), but that's not exactly a game that was screaming for DX12 usage.

The GOTY edition is free to owners of the game, it's a completely free update.
Niiiiiiiiice, I didn't know that.

I wonder what it would take to do a driving game like this.

Become a Patron!
Back