Microsoft Limits Windows 10 Feature Updates to Once a Year

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
windows-10-light-logo-cropped-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Windows 10 will no longer receive semi-annual feature updates. This has been confirmed by Microsoft’s John Cable (Vice President, Program Management, Windows Servicing and Delivery), who noted in a blog post regarding today’s release of the Windows 10 November 2021 Update that the older OS will only receive annual feature updates going forward. Feature updates for Windows 10 will no longer be released in the spring.

From Cable:

We will transition to a new Windows 10 release cadence to align with the Windows 11 cadence, targeting annual feature update releases. We are now renaming the servicing option for releases to the General Availability Channel starting with the November 2021 Update (Note: this replaces the previous “Semi-Annual Channel” term for the servicing option). The next Windows 10 feature update is slated for the second half of 2022.We...

Continue reading...

That's fine by me.

I can't think of a single one of these "feature updates" that actually improved anything.

I'd rather be running the original release with security patches.

Heck, who am I kidding, I'd rather be running Windows 7 but with security patches.

Oh but we can still get weekly BS and security patches right? Never stop patching.....

And yeah like Zara I would still be on Win 7 if there were still drivers and current patches.

That sounds awesome,

I'm still on w10 and it's working well, but the update notification was weird and takes too much time on updating process. Finally, it takes a rest ;)

Bummer about the the Office 365 UI.

I understand that they want to update it to match Windows 11, but for vhrist sake, who out there is teaching people that UI's need lower and lower contrast? It's getting ridiculous. Everything these days is a bland wash of whites and greys and it is awful.

Become a Patron!
Back