Microsoft Mandates Copilot Key for AI PCs

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
An AI PC isn't an AI PC unless it comes with not only Copilot, Microsoft's "everyday AI companion," but also a Copilot key that allows users to quickly access what the Windows and Xbox maker has described as a productivity-boosting technology, according to a new slide from Intel that lists what is apparently Microsoft's requirements for an AI PC.

See full article...

So wait, only intel core ultra based systems will be AI pc's according to MS? This is a head scratcher.

That's fine. I don't want an "AI PC" anyway.

There is about a snowballs chance in hell of me ever buying (or even using) a keyboard with a "copilot" button on it.

I have a feeling that whether I want it or not, I'll have various "AI Accelerators" forced on me at some point, as it will become increasingly more difficult to buy hardware without it, and it will likely be integrated into CPU/GPU products, but will I use it? No.

Microsoft will likely continue to try to force this **** on us by further integrating it into every aspect of the OS, and as a result my conviction to use Open Source operating systems will only grow.

I liken it to how I have disabled just about everything on my Pixel 7 Pro that uses AI/Assistant. The AI capabilities of the chip are essentially just dead weight at this point.

To date I have never used an AI language model, and I intend to keep it that way. The "Co-Pilot Preview" icon showed up on my Windows 11 work machine. I quickly disabled it without ever clicking on it.

Not even once.

Become a Patron!
Back