Microsoft OneDrive Announces 5 TB and 10 TB Cloud Storage Tiers, Coming by End of 2024 for Microsoft 365 Personal and Family Customers

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Microsoft 365 Family and Microsoft 365 Personal, two of the cloud storage plans that Microsoft offers to Home customers, will be expanding with 5 TB and 10 TB storage tiers by the end of the year, according to new information that Microsoft has shared during its latest OneDrive event.

See full article...

Hmm.

I'm not usually a fan of Microsofts cloud integration, but if these are affordable enough and I can figure out a way to push pre-encrypted incremental backups (like with Borg or something) to OneDrive without exposing my files and content to Microsoft for analysis, I could totally see myself using this.

I would however never link my desktop to a microsoft account, or sync any unencrypted files from my desktop to their service like with their built in file management, so unless there is another way to access OneDrive (like SSH, SFTP or something like that, where I control completely what gets sent, and can do it from a non-Windows machine) and I can use it to dump incremental encrypted backup blobs onto it, I will never use it.

The key here is for me and only me to be in complete control, and for absolutely nothing to be exposed to Microsoft for data mining.

Hmm.

I'm not usually a fan of Microsofts cloud integration, but if these are affordable enough and I can figure out a way to push pre-encrypted incremental backups (like with Borg or something) to OneDrive without exposing my files and content to Microsoft for analysis, I could totally see myself using this.

I would however never link my desktop to a microsoft account, or sync any unencrypted files from my desktop to their service like with their built in file management, so unless there is another way to access OneDrive (like SSH, SFTP or something like that, where I control completely what gets sent, and can do it from a non-Windows machine) and I can use it to dump incremental encrypted backup blobs onto it, I will never use it.

The key here is for me and only me to be in complete control, and for absolutely nothing to be exposed to Microsoft for data mining.
They data mine EVERYTHING, so just go ahead and use copilot+ to create naked pics of Steve Ballmer, Bill Gates, and Satya Nadella. Let them be exposed to their debauchery. 10 TB of high-resolution pictures should be more than enough.

They data mine EVERYTHING, so just go ahead and use copilot+ to create naked pics of Steve Ballmer, Bill Gates, and Satya Nadella. Let them be exposed to their debauchery. 10 TB of high-resolution pictures should be more than enough.

Yeah, that is why I wanted to do my own custom encryption at the block level locally, before it ever leaving my Linux based NAS, and have the NAS push those backups to OneDrive directly, without installing any Microsoft software on the machine.

If I can do that, I will consider it. Otherwise I won't.

If I can do that, I will consider it. Otherwise I won't
I don’t see why it wouldn’t. An encrypted backup would just be any other file… .tgz up a dd dump of your encrypted drive and stuff it over.

They support Bitlocker to some extent with OneDrive but not sure exactly how that works (wouldn’t trust them not to mine through their own encryption tho)

Become a Patron!
Back