Microsoft Planning Major Windows 10 UI Refresh for 2021

I am completely unsympathetic to wanting to validate security patches before implementation.
'Security' is never the primary purpose of any system; any system that is 'secure' does nothing else.

So it's a balance of risk. I don't have much sympathy for those affected due to not patching vulnerabilities either, but I get why there's at least a process for it for enterprises.

That said, there should be no reason feature patches should be forced on people.

The problem becomes, as soon as you have many different versions of feature patches live in the field, you wind up with an unmanageable mess of different combinations and permutations in the field to patch for security.

I don't really get Microsoft's single 'feature/security' patch process myself. I absolutely get their reasoning for enforcing security patch updates, as that's just plain necessary to get a handle on the spread of malware across the internet, but I agree that a security patch track could be completely separate from a feature upgrade track. I'd bet that Windows 10 would have been much more popular among holdouts if there'd been a 'Windows 7' feature-level option!

This from Microsoft is a forced change on a system that otherwise would be perfectly stable, all in the name of .. I'm not really sure. They have been so inconsistent for so long with their UI Design, that in trying to unify it finally they have introduced even more disorder and chaos.

I think the ultimate fix is that they need to just stop monkeying with the UI stuff... new UI = new release. Then people can migrate if/when they want to the new UI stuff. I know that goes against the new "Win104Ever" philosophy, but that's how it was done prior to WIn10, and people could jump or skip releases as they saw fit.

They're doing it gradually, for better or worse, which I get. There's not a good way to do that level of change, but as far as I have seen and experienced, the Settings app has itself at least been stable, and functionality hasn't been removed from Control Panel without being added to Settings. I don't like having to hunt for stuff of course, but since it works, I don't have any complaints I'd consider legitimate. I do look forward to them finishing the transition though.

And on a related note, I also hope that they're keeping their internal code maintainable. They should be getting ready to port Explorer to the Linux kernel...

Become a Patron!
Back