Microsoft Reopens Windows 10 Beta Testing, Teasing New Features and Improvements

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Windows 10, Microsoft's 2015 Windows NT operating system and one that was supposed to be the "last version" of Windows ever, will be getting new features and improvements despite the OS's rapidly approaching end-of-support date, which has been confirmed to be October 14, 2025, according to a new post from the Windows Insider Program Team that explains how it's opening the Beta Channel for Windows Insiders who are currently on Windows 10 back up so they can properly do active feature development for the older software.

See full article...

Interesting move, don't know what to think about it, I know the adoption of Win11 is way below Win10, and there's a lot of resistance for Win11, despite new AI features, Recall has been very controversial and put a lot of people off.

Recall has been very controversial and put a lot of people off.
Seems like since .. maybe 7? Each new version of Windows is met with more and more trepidation.

Even before that, it was “skip every other one”. Now it’s just “hunker down and wait for the Year of Linux”

I was happy Win10 was approaching EoL, and that they said 22H2 would be last major update for it, cuz I wanted Microsoft to stop f*cking with the OS and just leave it the f*ck alone. I plan to use it well past EoL like I did Win7. I'm not happy about their renewed interest in it, not at all. Is it because Win11 adoption and usage is below Win10? If not enough people are using Win11, then all the fancy new annoying features Microsoft wants to cram down people's throats can't be delivered. So I guess maybe now they will figure out how to do that in Win10. But of course it won't be the sh1t that might actually be useful, like AutoHDR or the full version of DirectStorage, oh no. Those will stay exclusive to Win11. But Win10 users will get all the other crap, like AI nonsense, or maybe this new Recall crap. How wonderful.

It still pisses me off that after Win7, Microsoft no longer allowed you to pick-and-choose individual updates. I kept of list of which updates to avoid for Win7 (a lot of it was annoying sh1t related to nagging people to upgrade to Win10). If Win10 was like that, I could avoid all the crap I don't want, and still grab security updates and sh1t. But nope, we don't have that kind of freedom anymore. Freedom, well that's what Linux is for. Windows to me is just a "game console" now. I switch to it for gaming, or for the few programs I use that don't have Linux versions, and can't/shouldn't be used through Wine. And a lot of the games I play run fine on Linux, not to mention emulators (some of which are better on Linux), so sometimes I don't even need to switch to Windows to game. As time goes on, more and more I think Win7's greatness wasn't the result of purposeful design. It think it was a happy accident. We're not gonna get that lucky again.

We keep hoping that Win11 is just one of the bad ones we tend to skip over every other generation or so. But the way things are going, do we really think Win12 is gonna be any better than Win11? It might just be one continuous downward spiral from here on out. I hope it's not, but you never know.

Odd.

Re-opening new features this close to EOL?

Are they maybe concerned that not enough people are experiencing their integrated Co-Pilot bullshit, so they want to force it on Win10 users now too?

Re-opening new features this close to EOL?

Are they maybe concerned that not enough people are experiencing their integrated Co-Pilot bullshit, so they want to force it on Win10 users now too?
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Yep, and they recently jacked Paint 3D in 10 at the same time they removed it in 11.

Edit: lol! just like most updates finding an older install file is a workaround :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As time goes on, more and more I think Win7's greatness wasn't the result of purposeful design. It think it was a happy accident. We're not gonna get that lucky again.

Probably true. I do appreciate MS giving me monthly updates now where it puts up a full screen thank you note for being a win10 customer but that my system won't support 11 so click on some alternatives (aka new cpus) to updrade etc.. At least it doesnt become the active window, it just shows up in the task bar once a month or so. The one laptop I have that can upgrade already has tried to schedule the update to 11 or at least offered it in the win update screen.

Become a Patron!
Back