Microsoft Reportedly Shelves Windows 10X

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
surface-neo-windows-10x-cropped-1024x577.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Back in 2019, Microsoft announced that it was working on a spin-off of Windows 10 called Windows 10X, which would be oriented toward dual-screen devices and feature radical changes such as a new user interface and simpler environment akin to Chrome OS. Unfortunately, Windows enthusiasts may never be able to get their hands on it, as a report from Windows insider Brad Sams suggests that Microsoft has shelved the project indefinitely. Microsoft is reportedly shifting its full resources to improve the standard version of Windows 10.

Microsoft is pulling Windows 10X, it's not coming in 2021 and the future is dim for the 'lite' version of WindowsMicrosoft Shelves Windows 10X, It is not Shipping in 2021 https://t.co/mtgSAeJsA7 pic.twitter.com/Dh3iGhr09J— Brad Sams...

Continue reading...

Thank god! MS needs to abandon ideas of reduced OS versions. With the ongoing die improvements for AMD/Intel plus the continued gains that ARM has made in recent years, there's no reason for such a thing in the mobile market. To me, it makes a lot more sense to have some kind of mobile mode users can switch to like they've already done with the top-end Surface Pros that have the full version of Windows 10. Sure 10 can be a bit bloated but RAM and storage sizes are not that big of an issue these days when you're talking about devices with 16-32GB or 256GB-1TB respectively.

Thank god! MS needs to abandon ideas of reduced OS versions. With the ongoing die improvements for AMD/Intel plus the continued gains that ARM has made in recent years, there's no reason for such a thing in the mobile market. To me, it makes a lot more sense to have some kind of mobile mode users can switch to like they've already done with the top-end Surface Pros that have the full version of Windows 10. Sure 10 can be a bit bloated but RAM and storage sizes are not that big of an issue these days when you're talking about devices with 16-32GB or 256GB-1TB respectively.
I've no idea why it needs to be a separate OS, really; they can make Windows 10 run acceptably well on a 'tablet' with 4GB of RAM today.

They just need to make sure that all the hooks and handles and whatnot for 'tablet mode' are available and easy for app developers to implement.

Now, in general, I'm not a fan of 'tablet mode' myself at all, but that's because I'm not really a fan of tablets period. I prefer the 'desktop' UI setup, with a tactile keyboard and a pointing device and so on. First real tablet I've bought was actually an iPad Mini 7.9" last month, and that was to use it more as a drone controller than anything else. Wife uses it for media consumption on occasion, but I've asked that she keep mobile games and other less trustable stuff off it so that it can do what we need it to do.

Otherwise, I see a benefit of converging 'mobile' and 'desktop' (and 'server') componentry and UI schemas. Every input interface can talk to every output, storage, and processing node, all the time, so long as authentication and authorization requirements are met.

I agree. With every build update, I have to wonder what got moved where and how to find it.
Yep, Im convinced they have successfully phonified my desktop. Im done caring though. That was my last PC build. Next time is whatever box with whatever hardware.

What I HATE about what microsoft is doing isn't even to the desktop software. Whatever add convenience services... mapping plugins. xbox addons whatever... as long as I can go turn them off later I'm fine with it.

BUT STOP ADDING THIS BULLSH1T TO YOUR SERVERS!!! Why the HELL does my server platform come with bing freaking maps installed, NOT TO MENTION TWO XBOX SERVICES?! Oh and the 'Cortana' search CRAP as well. All of this you have to turn off for EACH FLIPPING USER. And if you don't when they log in and get the server manager it shows problems with services... GEE FREAKING THANKS MS.

I mean I'm willing to do this crap to my 2 personal computers to remove the crap I don't want. But to have to do this to EVERY SERVER in a company... GTFO.

Become a Patron!
Back