Microsoft Will Sell the Xbox Series X for $400 to Bury Sony’s PlayStation 5, Claims Industry Analyst

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
xbox-series-x-top-1024x576.jpg

Judging by the hardware it’s packing, Microsoft’s next-gen console has got to cost $500 or more, right? Actually, it might be a lot cheaper than you’d think.

During a recent episode of Bonus Round (via Pure Xbox) with games journalist Geoff Keighley, Aaron Greenberg (GM, Xbox Games Marketing), and Peter Moore (former Dreamcast, EA, and Xbox executive), Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter claimed that Microsoft would be launching the Xbox Series X for just $400 this holiday.

Pachter’s reasoning is that Microsoft could take the financial hit, and pricing the console at that price point would effectively blunt the appeal of Sony’s PlayStation 5, which – according to...

Continue reading...

Is this thrown out there just because of the lackluster intro event that just happened?

If they do this, plus full keyboard /mouse support for computer game adaptation (if any work other than access is required anyway) it would be a pre order for me.

That's definitely an attractive price if they follow through with it.

I've been following Michael Pachter for years, the guy really knows his **** but I have a hard time believing hes right on this one. $400 just seems way too cheap. They'd likely be taking a small loss at $500 so $400 just seems too good to be true. That being said, I hope I'm wrong and he's right.

I'm not too involved in the Xbox ecosystem. I'd like to see it, but a cheap console doesn't mean much without games that I want to play, and that means more to me than console price.

MS just hasn't been able to attract a lot of the studios I care about, or at least keep them around. I"m mostly a RPG guy, and Sony just has more of it. Killing off Lionhead/Fable wasn't a great move, and right now it looks like MS will be leaning heavily on Halo to move consoles: nothing against Halo, but that isn't a must play for me.

It still baffles me that MS invests in hardware at all, sitting on the Windows juggernaut that they are. Not trying to imply they are bad at it - that isn't the case, I just don't know why they jumped into the console market, when they have everything they need to make every PC out there their console ecosystem, if they would just let it happen.

I will wait to see a bit more info but at that price I am also tempted to pick it up day one. Wouldn't mind something powerful for my TV setup.

I can't think of any current RPGs that are exclusive to Sony other than the timed Final Fantasy 7 remake. Most RPGs are either multi-platform now or Nintendo exclusive.

If someone was torn between spending $500 on a RTX*(3)2700 or $800 on a
RTX*(3)2800 or $400 on a Series X that will have near identical performance and graphical quality to those cards for the first 12 to 18 months of their lives and you have access to all the same games. That's a pretty good reason to drop only $400 on the console, then, in 2 years when games really start using that horsepower grab whatever newest card is out and switch back to the PC being your primary gaming system and still have access to all your Xbox games. If I'm not a die hard "must have 240fps@4K kind of gamer and I just want good looking games with a good frame rate at a reasonable price that new Xbox is looking pretty **** good about now.

Consoles usually do not make a profit on hardware unless they are from Nintendo. But eating $100-200 PER console is probably a bad idea. Then again, MS has infinite money, Sony doesn't.

As I have always said, it comes down to the games, not the specs. The XB1X-Super9999 can have awesome specs but it won't matter if there are not any great games.

edit - I mean 1st rev console hardware. Usually after the 2nd rev/slim models come out and are cost reduced, then they start to make a little money on hardware.

What M$ doesn't make in hardware sales they'll make up for it with XBL subscriptions and game purchases.

Drug dealer strategy.

Become a Patron!
Back