Microsoft Won’t Let You Uninstall Its New Edge Browser

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Microsoft-Edge--1024x576.png
Image: Microsoft

If you’re not a fan of Microsoft’s new, Chromium-based version of Edge, you’ll probably have to live with it. A new support document has confirmed that Windows 10 users won’t be allowed to uninstall it, nor use its legacy version.

“Beginning with general availability of the new Microsoft Edge in January, Microsoft has migrated Windows customers from the legacy version of Microsoft Edge to the new version in a phased rollout,” the company wrote. “We want to ensure all Windows customers have the latest Microsoft Edge browser for the performance, privacy, security, productivity, and support features it offers.”

“The new version of Microsoft Edge gives users full control over importing personal data from the legacy version of Microsoft Edge. The new version of Microsoft Edge...

Continue reading...

Is there anyway to unpin it?
Its crap they force this junk on you.

I just unpinned it with no issue at all. It's there just like internet explorer is there, I don't GAF as long as I can use the browser of my choice.

Yeah not really bothering me and honestly I expect them to include a browser in their OS.
Long as they do not force you to use it or make a feature of the OS dependant on that browser than I am fine.

My experience, on a few computers now:

The Edge upgrade comes along. Ok. So it puts a link on your desktop and pins to the start bar. Ok, sure.

Then it pops up this full screen "Upgrade to Edge" Window, where the only option is to "Get Started". There's no close, no "No thanks", no "Do this later". The only way to get around it is to force quit via task manager. Ok, that's annoying.

Then it resets all the default viewers for items like HTML, XML, PDF, etc, to Edge. Without having asked.

Now, sure, you can say it isn't required, I don't have to use it. That is true. But it also has done a lot of stuff without either my permission, or ways to opt out. I don't mind having Edge on the computer, I do very much mind having it shoved down my throat.

Who knows, I may even like Edge, but after that, there's no way I'll touch it to find out.

Become a Patron!
Back