Mobile Theme

David_Schroth

Administrator
Staff member
In the spirit of speeding up page loads, I've turned on a different mobile theme, but I don't seem to be able to make the background dark on the main content (it's ignoring any custom CSS i throw at it). On the positive side, page loads should be very snappy (which the search engines seem to prefer).

Let me know if any bugs are seen with it.

Welp, apparently the mobile theme doesn't work with the cache plugin used... so... going to need to change that, which also means moving to cloudfront instead of s3 for images.. so... it might be a bit before it appears.

Yea I was noticing that the mobil theme is loading on my desktop chrome as well. Doesn't look that great on the PC to be honest.

Yea I was noticing that the mobil theme is loading on my desktop chrome as well. Doesn't look that great on the PC to be honest.

Ugh. It shouldn't be loading on PC devices. It's missing a ton of stuff.

New mobile theme is back. Let me know if it gets wonky for you.

Changed out the caching plugin and switched from using S3 to deliver static content over to Cloudfront.

The main ad network we're using is bludgeoning the page load speeds....

Ugh. This is annoying and it should be back off now. The page caching is caching one version and not the other, so whatever is in cache is what gets served to whatever browser shows up.

So I suppose it's a... do I cache the pages or run with the mobile theme...

Appears that dropping cache has had a minimal impact on performance - the mobile theme has been re-enabled. Please post here if there's any weird issues (basically, it's going to serve it when you're below a certain window size).

Loaded well for me at work over WiFi - can’t say I noticed a difference in load times but I didn’t check with devtools

Cache and CDN turned back on - according to performance reports from the google we've tanked in responsiveness. Let me know if there's any weirdness that shows up....

I honestly can't tell a difference just in popping open your site and poking around on my phone. It was loading fine (at least in my opinion) without it.

But hey, I do understand Google ranks based on these sorts of things, and more better is better.

I honestly can't tell a difference just in popping open your site and poking around on my phone. It was loading fine (at least in my opinion) without it.

But hey, I do understand Google ranks based on these sorts of things, and more better is better.

It's kind of obscene. They expect page load times under 1 second. Without the CDN/Page Caching, we're easily in the 3-5 second range. Their "yellow" zone is 1-3 seconds, over 3 and it's the cone of shame!

The media.net ad network seems to be a major culprit though...

Seems snappy currently so that's cool. And yea that's a bit obscene. I wonder how many page visits are from Google. Probably a lot.

Seems snappy currently so that's cool. And yea that's a bit obscene. I wonder how many page visits are from Google. Probably a lot.

Over the past month, organic search engine traffic has brought us 65% of our readers. Of that, Google was 85%, Bing 10.5% and Duckduckgo 4.5%. So, based on that math, we bow to Google's demands....

I think it's in effort to make the internet feel faster. Good bad or otherwise.

Reactions: _k_
Over the past month, organic search engine traffic has brought us 65% of our readers. Of that, Google was 85%, Bing 10.5% and Duckduckgo 4.5%. So, based on that math, we bow to Google's demands....
Mmmmm dat Duckduck

Become a Patron!
Back