Modder Adds AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution to GTA V

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
grand-theft-auto-v-bikini-blonde-1024x576.jpg
Image: Rockstar Games

The PC gaming community is known for its drive to mod just about anything it can in a game, sometimes beating developers to the punch in adding a requested feature. NarutoUA has managed to upgrade Grand Theft Auto V, one of the most modded games in history, with AMD’s new FidelityFX Super Resolution upscaling solution soon after its launch. All four FSR modes are supported, allowing the game to be rendered from 0.5X all the way up to 0.883X.

This mod supports all FSR Modes. Thus, you can use Performance, Balance, Quality and Ultra Quality Modes. From all of these, the best one is obviously the Ultra Quality Mode which runs the game at a 0.883X scaling mode

Sources...

Continue reading...

Impressive.

GTA is not really my franchise, but it is nice to know that it is so easy to add to a title that a modder can do it, without completely reworking the engine.

I missed a few months there of keeping up with the news. Are there any reviews yet comparing FidelityFX with Nvidias DLSS from an image quality and performance perspective?

I think the expectation is that DLSS will perform and look a little better due to being hardware accelerated, but I'm not sure.

Impressive.

GTA is not really my franchise, but it is nice to know that it is so easy to add to a title that a modder can do it, without completely reworking the engine.

I missed a few months there of keeping up with the news. Are there any reviews yet comparing FidelityFX with Nvidias DLSS from an image quality and performance perspective?

I think the expectation is that DLSS will perform and look a little better due to being hardware accelerated, but I'm not sure.

Both solutions are in effect hardware accelerated. The difference is that there are built in 'ai learned' methods for DLSS to do the image compression and maintain a better effective fidelity.

Where as AMD's FSR needs to be in the pipeline but has no learned results to pattern itself after. Hence the shorter development cycle to get a game to market with FSR as opposed to DLSS.

Really at this point at high quality mode the differences are minimal for the results achieved, and ideally we will have cards that simply don't need to use either for gaming at your chosen resolution.

Are there any reviews yet comparing FidelityFX with Nvidias DLSS
A couple here and there but FX is still new enough that I haven't come across anything major yet but odds are some will be very soon. I linked to Tsing's article for the launch that list some titles at launch and there's bunch coming. Being that it's slowly being added to games we might not see anything really comprehensive until the holidays. It is a good sign though that a modder was able to do this. Unlike DLSS it makes it seem like it shouldn't be such an extreme change to make for some games.

Become a Patron!
Back