Modder Proves That NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 3070 Can Support Up to 16 GB of GDDR6 Memory

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-side-power-connector-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 3070 graphics card comes with a modest amount of 8 GB GDDR6 memory, but the model can actually support more depending on one’s soldering skills. This has been confirmed by Russian modder VIK-on, who shared videos this week demonstrating how he managed to replace the standard Samsung modules on his Palit GeForce RTX 3070 GamingPro with higher-capacity alternatives that doubled the memory configuration to 16 GB. While initial tests resulted in some serious instability, VIK-on discovered that the modified card could be tamed to operate normally by using EVGA’s Precision X1 software to lock the clock and force the GPU to run at normal frequencies.

After being updated with a 16 GB memory configuration, VIK-on’s Palit GeForce RTX 3070 GamingPro managed to score 12,925...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
This dude is insane for doing this... reflowing solder on those surface mount chips is beyond hard. But he got it to work. Did it make a difference though....

This dude is insane for doing this... reflowing solder on those surface mount chips is beyond hard. But he got it to work. Did it make a difference though....
Yeah, he's been gaining experience at doing it too. He did the same thing to a 2070 about a month or so ago.

I'd never be able to do that, even with the proper tools :p :p

I'd be more interested in a modded 3080, but I'm impressed with this project.
Nice work
The most he could put on a RTX3080 is 12GB. At least until 16Gb DDR6X chips are released.

Become a Patron!
Back