Mozilla’s Firefox Browser Is Flatlining: “Not Expected to Win Back Any Market Share At This Point”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
firefox-logo-purple-1024x576.jpg
Image: Mozilla

Mozilla’s Firefox browser is struggling to stay alive, and while that isn’t much of a secret to the countless users who have long since made the switch to alternatives such as Google Chrome, a new report from Wired shines a light on how terribly the once-celebrated software is doing.

Echoing statistics from sources such as W3Counter, Firefox is reported to have fallen to an embarrassing 4% of the market, with mobile versions of the browser being used at an even more miserable half of a percent. Mozilla’s own public data report can even reveal that Firefox has managed to lose around 30 million monthly active users since the beginning of 2019.

Adding to the alarm are quotes from ex-Firefox employees who have suggested that the browser has zero hopes of surviving. “Chrome has won the desktop browser war,” said one individual who worked on Firefox’s development...

Continue reading...

Hope they get their **** together as I really don’t want to switch my whole family to something else.

Still rockin' Firefox and Pale Moon here (and sometimes Edge when sh1t doesn't behave in the other browsers). I have no intention of ever changing. Chrome isn't for me.

I used to be a big firefox fan... but pretty much all chrome the last decade. Ya ya, I know google is harvesting my data to sell to the martians. Don't care.

Firefox is my main desktop web browser. The only thing Chrome has I wish FF did was the ability to cast a tab onto a Chromecast enabled device

Firefox made a flurry of bad moves in the past few years, I'm glad it is biting them in the arse.

The only reason I'm still on it is because I haven't found anything better.

First the quantum update which broke almost all extensions, many of which I still couldn't substitute. Then the universally hated proton ui update. That they first allowed you to turn off, but then removed the option, presumably because too many people were opting out of it.

So I have no love left for mozilla, firefox instead of being a good browser now is just the one that sucks slightly less than the others.

The android version however was always industrial scale trash.

I'm surprised however that they managed to loose this much of their share and still wouldn't give in to the demands of canning the awful proton update.

Become a Patron!
Back