MSI Announces Console Mode for Select 1440p Monitors, Enabling 4K to 2K PlayStation 5 Support

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
playstation-5-horizontal-placement-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony

We previously reported that the PlayStation 5 doesn’t support native 1440p output, but MSI has come up with a workaround for Sony’s disappointing oversight.

Select MSI monitors (e.g., MPG ARTYMIS 343CQR and Prestige PS321QR) will feature an “exclusive” Console Mode that will accept the 4K signal from a PS5 and output it in 2K for improved image quality.

Early testing with 1440p monitors has revealed that the PS5 will render a game at 4K but downscale the image to 1080p, which is then scaled again by the monitor. MSI’s new Console Mode avoids this destructive process.

According to an AV Watch article, Sony did not add...

Continue reading...

Why?

Ok, I get there are some people that use monitors with their consoles. Sure. But why would you buy a specific monitor that can do this, when you could just go buy a 4K monitor in the first place? Or heck, if price were the thing, just buy the 1080 monitor and "avoid the destructive process" like that.

Why?

Ok, I get there are some people that use monitors with their consoles. Sure. But why would you buy a specific monitor that can do this, when you could just go buy a 4K monitor in the first place? Or heck, if price were the thing, just buy the 1080 monitor and "avoid the destructive process" like that.
But hey!! It's got Console Mode!!! YOUR monitor doesn't have it! 🤣😂🤣😂 They might as well advertised that their monitors are also better because their volume goes to 11. YOUR monitor only goes to 10, but theirs goes to 11!

In all seriousness though, I'm with you on this one. Buy a 4k monitor instead of this crap and call it a day!

But hey!! It's got Console Mode!!! YOUR monitor doesn't have it! 🤣😂🤣😂 They might as well advertised that their monitors are also better because their volume goes to 11. YOUR monitor only goes to 10, but theirs goes to 11!

In all seriousness though, I'm with you on this one. Buy a 4k monitor instead of this crap and call it a day!

Or you know a 4k tv for a quarter the price of that 4k monitor.

I dunno, I appreciate it. I ended up succumbing to the PS5 hype and ordered a unit, but recently got a 1440p (BenQ EX3203R). Was planning on using it on the BenQ (suffering with a blurry 1080 image) or repurposing my old 4K monitor as a dedicated PS5 display if it was too crappy. Now that I know it can 'trick' the PS5 into accepting it as a 4K display, I'm pretty happy with that.

Not saying that I would purposely buy a 1440p monitor *for* this feature (I'd get a 4K monitor before that) but it is appreciated and should tide me over until a similar 32" 4K monitor (with HDMI 2.1) is available.

Become a Patron!
Back