MSI Confirms X670 Motherboard Pricing, including MEG X670E GODLIKE for $1,299.99

I'm not quite sure what you mean. The settings programmed in my Samsung brand memory had to come from somewhere. Where do they come from if not Samsung? Micron also publishes guides to their module-numbering systems, which I've referenced in the past for Crucial/Micron brand memory. They include details such as speed bins and grades. I believe they can be found under "DDRx Module Part Numbering System": https://www.micron.com/numbering
That's for modules, not individual ICs - it's for the DIMMs that Micron themselves produce, and it's limited to JEDEC standards. You can get Micron ICs on DIMMs from most manufacturers, all with their own marking schemes.

For an example, since we're just starting out with DDR5 - there are only three different ICs widely available on the market, each with only one marking. Hynix, Samsung, and Micron - overall quality in that order. Current Hynix ICs are 'M-die', with their 'A-die' being the next batch coming out, and the first of the second round of ICs.

DIMM manufacturers can bin these, and they ultimately decide what's coded into the SPD registers on the modules themselves, both the JEDEC profiles and the XMP / EXPO profiles.

It's pretty easy to verify under Linux. There are kernel modules and tools to assist with that. But as you know, the pickings are slim in the "suitable board" department, which was part of my original complaint.
Thus the quandary ;)

DIMM manufacturers can bin these, and they ultimately decide what's coded into the SPD registers on the modules themselves, both the JEDEC profiles and the XMP / EXPO profiles.
That was my understanding too -- Micron or Samsung or whomever may make the chips, and they are made to JEDEC stock standards, but it would be Adata or Kingston or G.Skill or whomever that would bin the chips and put the timings into the SPD.

That's for modules, not individual ICs - it's for the DIMMs that Micron themselves produce, and it's limited to JEDEC standards. You can get Micron ICs on DIMMs from most manufacturers, all with their own marking schemes.
But you wrote "they don't" in response to my clarified statement: "I meant whatever rating the memory manufacturer assigns to the modules", hence the confusion.
Do any of the "gaming companies" actually assemble the modules though? I thought they just did binning. I was under the impression that Kingston did do their own module assembly, though I don't think I'd call them a "gaming company".

But you wrote "they don't" in response to my clarified statement: "I meant whatever rating the memory manufacturer assigns to the modules", hence the confusion.
I admit I missed that, my apologies!

Do any of the "gaming companies" actually assemble the modules though? I thought they just did binning. I was under the impression that Kingston did do their own module assembly, though I don't think I'd call them a "gaming company".
Plenty! Not all of course, but you'll find that so very many are assembled (i.e., ICs onto DIMM PCBs) in Taiwan, by many different companies. Assume that arrangements vary.

Become a Patron!
Back