MSI Reducing Warranties of Select Graphics Cards from 36 Months to 6 Months In Certain Territories

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
msi-geforce-rtx-3080-ventus-3x-take-the-essentials-1024x576.jpg
Image: MSI

MSI has begun reducing the warranty periods for some of its graphics cards from three years to just a few months in certain territories. As spotted by PC Gamer and confirmed by one of MSI’s official support pages, popular GPUs such as the GeForce RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X 10G OC and GeForce RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 2X OC now have warranties of just six months in countries such as Russia—a difference of 30 months from the norm. These shorter warranties are typically coupled with cryptocurrency-oriented GPUs due to their more intensive usage, but MSI’s decision to apply something similar to gaming cards suggests that it could become a wider effort that affects more models and/or territories...

Continue reading...

Another ****ty move by MSI because they know people will still buy their cards if that's all they can get.

I hope those that purchased the cards before the change-over have their warranties honored. If not, I am going to feel really awful because I helped my cousin score a RTX 3070 Ventus OC from a New Egg shuffle.

I'm beginning to dislike MSI a little more as time goes on.

Yea I've been an MSI fan actually for a while but as of this past year or so that's pretty much gone away.

well if it chaces the miners away, why not, it's not like they could get away with that over here in Europe

Yea I've been an MSI fan actually for a while but as of this past year or so that's pretty much gone away.
I used to like them and have used a few of their motherboards and most recently a 1080Ti, but after their laptop fiasco and some other issues I don't even consider their offerings anymore.

I can't remember the last time I had to enforce a warranty, but still I wouldn't buy a card covered only 6 months.

They should just add a mining voids warranty. I mean this is probably because of mining. 24/7 running with questionable cooling ought to make failures more common in 3 years.

They should just add a mining voids warranty. I mean this is probably because of mining. 24/7 running with questionable cooling ought to make failures more common in 3 years.
You are probably right, but I have no idea how you would be able to enforce that short of putting some kind of load counter in the EEPROM on the card.

You are probably right, but I have no idea how you would be able to enforce that short of putting some kind of load counter in the EEPROM on the card.
You answerred it yourself. You can't do it for past cards, but you can do it for all new ones. A small code that detects popular crypto versions.

Or they could just disable criptomining once and for all.

Become a Patron!
Back