MSI Releases Voltage-Restricting Firmware Updates for AMD Ryzen 7000X3D Series After Reports of CPUs “Burning Out” Appear Online

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
MSI has launched a wave of new BIOS updates for its AM5 motherboards (e.g., MEG X670E GODLIKE) that only support negative offset voltage settings, allowing users to reduce the voltage of the CPU only, as well as a new version of MSI Center that prevents any direct voltage and frequency adjustments. The release of the new firmware and software was prompted by a number of Ryzen 7000X3D Series users who took to reddit and other social media over the past few days to claim that their motherboards were spontaneously "burning out" and killing their CPUs, with one highly upvoted post on r/AMD demonstrating what a Ryzen 7800X3D that "killed itself" might look like, bulges and all. MSI says that the restrictions have been implemented to "prevent over-voltage and reduce the risk of damage to the 7000X3D series CPUs," while a complementary article from Igor's Lab has provided insight on what parts of the chip are actually being damaged.

See full article...

Thing is with the motherboard market being so price competitive I wonder if some of the makers are building in 'gentle' overclocks into their motherboards that are being exposed as being out of spec with CPU's made to higher required tolerances.

If I were looking at an X3D chip of this gen I'd be double checking all of my voltages and specs before ordering especially now.

Another super lead from "Dr" Su. She clearly shows that she was 1,000,000% in communication/ collaboration with the mobo manufactures.

coffin-meme-coffin-dance.gif

Become a Patron!
Back