MSI Reveals SPATIUM M570 PCIe 5.0 NVMe M.2 HS SSD with Read Speeds of Over 12 GB/s

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
MSI has announced the SPATIUM M570 PCIe 5.0 NVMe M.2 HS, a new SSD from the company that features a bronze-colored aluminum heatsink, high-quality 3D NAND flash, and Phison's PS5026-E26 controller, offering sequential read and write speeds of over 12,000 MB/s and 10,000 MB/s, respectively.

Go to post

MSI has announced the SPATIUM M570 PCIe 5.0 NVMe M.2 HS, a new SSD from the company that features a bronze-colored aluminum heatsink, high-quality 3D NAND flash, and Phison's PS5026-E26 controller, offering sequential read and write speeds of over 12,000 MB/s and 10,000 MB/s, respectively.

Go to post
It's like Ferrari versus Lamborghini --- you are buying a street legal car and comparing the fact that one does 202 MPH vs the other's 204 MPH. Doesn't really matter when the speed limit is what it is.

IOPS are where it's at, and past that, everything else is bottlenecked by something else. I'm not convinced that we can really utilize PCI 3.0 speeds - but I'll admit you can notice the bump from SATA (600Mbs) to NVME PCI 3 (2500Mbs), even if it's only a marginal improvement in most cases. Most files that are used every day just aren't big enough to take advantage of the speed of a sequential transfer -- and I don't even know if a modern NVMe drive optimizes at all to place large files in continuous blocks - defrag has been long dead for SSDs

My pcie gen 4 nvme is right at 1 million iops. So that's a solid boost from previous iterations.

My pcie gen 4 nvme is right at 1 million iops. So that's a solid boost from previous iterations.
Hmm, unless you are talking Optane, which appears to be a mixed bag - doesn't look like the interface makes all that much difference.

A good PCI 4 will tend to beat a good PCI 3, but it isn't universal that just by being PCI 4 that it will be better than PCI 3

The Samsung in these tests is PCI 3, vs 3 other PCI 4 NVMe drives. The Samsung actually beats some of the PCI 4 drives at times. THe Sequential Read Speed benchmark is about the only thing the PCI 4 drives consistently and significantly win at, where they can leverage that sustained speed advantage. Everything else is either a mixed bag or pretty much within margin of error to my untrained eye.

I'd point out specifically the game launch times - where the PCI 3 Samsung actually beat out all the PCI 4 drives -- and the Optane drive! (But I will admit the results were all really really close, so I wouldn't call it significant)

(The real take away here is that Optane looked fantastic on some specific benchmarks, but somehow that translated to only mediocre real-world testing)

So - yeah IOPS is a thing, but it looks like we hit the point of diminishing returns on PCI 3 and not the end-all-beat-all that I alluded to earlier - even Optane with it's fantastic latency can't overcome whatever the next bottleneck is. Unless you routinely do bulk file copies, PCI 4 (and I imagine that will extend to PCI 5) does nothing for you. Boot times, game and app launch times, etc all are virtually the same regardless of interface.

The drive controller / firmware matters more than the PCI interface revision.

The Samsung in these tests is PCI 3, vs 3 other PCI 4 NVMe drives. The Samsung actually beats some of the PCI 4 drives at times. THe Sequential Read Speed benchmark is about the only thing the PCI 4 drives consistently and significantly win at, where they can leverage that sustained speed advantage. Everything else is either a mixed bag or pretty much within margin of error to my untrained eye.
It would be interesting to see results between the gen 3 NVME Samsung drive... (That I have just not installed) and the Gen 4 NVME Samsung drive.... that I also have....and is installed.

I mostly did it because I was updating my build and needed more space and went with NVME PCIE 4.0x4.

Lets see what google says.. no quick comparison found. Interesting. Could be a interesting Article FPSers.

Become a Patron!
Back