MSI Z270i IO Shield

mtrupi

n00b
Built this a couple years back. Being used as a general office machine I never tried to use the type-C port on the back. The IO shield is very nice with foam EMI gasketing. Unfortunately with the type -C connector the cable overmold interferes with the IO shield and does not reliably stay plugged. Now I have to take this thing apart and modify the IO shield.
edit: modification complete, just wish I didn't need to do it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you would have had to modify that. I've never seen this problem using Type-C cables.

I see this only occasionally. Whenever someone designs a receptacle they should account for the overmold but don't always. Since cables can be all over the place with design it's hard to make something universal.

I've never needed to modify an I/O shield and I've literally built hundreds of computers over the two decades and change I've been doing it.

I've never needed to modify an I/O shield and I've literally built hundreds of computers over the two decades and change I've been doing it.
You probably don't use the same cheap stuff I do. Only speculating, if the motherboard placement tolerances are not as good as they should be there can be little problems that arise. The Type-C cable overmold is usually larger than the opening provided so if the board sits back too far this can happen.

Become a Patron!
Back